OREMUS: 4 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Apr 3 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, April 4, 2005
Reginald Heber, Bishop of Calcutta, Hymnwriter, 1826

Blessed are you, eternal God;
Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we receive the legacy of a living hope,
born again not only from his death
but also from his resurrection.
Day by day you refine our faith,
that we who have not seen the Christ
may truly confess him as our Lord and God,
and share the blessedness of those who believe.

The king rejoices in your strength, O Lord;*
 how greatly he exults in your victory!
You have given him his heart's desire;*
 you have not denied him the request of his lips.
For you meet him with blessings of prosperity,*
 and set a crown of fine gold upon his head.
He asked you for life and you gave it to him;*
 length of days, for ever and ever.
His honour is great, because of your victory;*
 splendour and majesty have you bestowed upon him.
For you will give him everlasting felicity*
 and will make him glad with the joy of your presence.
For the king puts his trust in the Lord;*
 because of the loving-kindness of the Most High,
   he will not fall.
Your hand will lay hold upon all your enemies;*
 your right hand will seize all those who hate you.
You will make them like a fiery furnace*
 at the time of your appearing, O Lord;
You will swallow them up in your wrath,*
 and fire shall consume them.
You will destroy their offspring from the land*
 and their descendants
   from among the peoples of the earth.
Though they intend evil against you
   and devise wicked schemes,*
 yet they shall not prevail.
For you will put them to flight*
 and aim your arrows at them.
Be exalted, O Lord, in your might;*
 we will sing and praise your power.

 sing to the Lord, all the whole earth.
Sing to the Lord and bless his name;*
 proclaim the good news of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations*
 and his wonders among all peoples.
For great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 he is more to be feared than all gods.
As for all the gods of the nations, they are but idols;*
 but it is the Lord who made the heavens.
O the majesty and magnificence of his presence!*
 O the power and the splendour of his sanctuary!
Ascribe to the Lord, you families of the peoples;*
 ascribe to the Lord honour and power.
Ascribe to the Lord the honour due to his name;*
 bring offerings and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness;*
 let the whole earth tremble before him.
Tell it out among the nations: 'The Lord is king!*
 he has made the world so firm that it cannot be moved;
   he will judge the peoples with equity.'
Let the heavens rejoice and let the earth be glad;
   let the sea thunder and all that is in it;*
 let the field be joyful and all that is therein.
Then shall all the trees of the wood shout for joy
   before the Lord when he comes,*
 when he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness*
 and the peoples with his truth.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Daniel 5:1-12]:

King Belshazzar made a great festival for a thousand of
his lords, and he was drinking wine in the presence of
the thousand.
Under the influence of the wine, Belshazzar commanded
that they bring in the vessels of gold and silver that
his father Nebuchadnezzar had taken out of the temple in
Jerusalem, so that the king and his lords, his wives, and
his concubines might drink from them. So they brought in
the vessels of gold and silver that had been taken out of
the temple, the house of God in Jerusalem, and the king
and his lords, his wives, and his concubines drank from
them. They drank the wine and praised the gods of gold
and silver, bronze, iron, wood, and stone.
Immediately the fingers of a human hand appeared and
began writing on the plaster of the wall of the royal
palace, next to the lampstand. The king was watching the
hand as it wrote. Then the king's face turned pale, and
his thoughts terrified him. His limbs gave way, and his
knees knocked together. The king cried aloud to bring in
the enchanters, the Chaldeans, and the diviners; and the
king said to the wise men of Babylon, 'Whoever can read
this writing and tell me its interpretation shall be
clothed in purple, have a chain of gold around his neck,
and rank third in the kingdom.' Then all the king's wise
men came in, but they could not read the writing or tell
the king the interpretation. Then King Belshazzar became
greatly terrified and his face turned pale, and his lords
were perplexed.
The queen, when she heard the discussion of the king and
his lords, came into the banqueting-hall. The queen said,
'O king, live for ever! Do not let your thoughts terrify
you or your face grow pale. There is a man in your
kingdom who is endowed with a spirit of the holy gods. In
the days of your father he was found to have
enlightenment, understanding, and wisdom like the wisdom
of the gods. Your father, King Nebuchadnezzar, made him
chief of the magicians, enchanters, Chaldeans, and
diviners, because an excellent spirit, knowledge, and
understanding to interpret dreams, explain riddles, and
solve problems were found in this Daniel, whom the king
named Belteshazzar. Now let Daniel be called, and he will
give the interpretation.'

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 4:32-37

HYMN
Words: Reginald Heber, 1811
Tune: Hosanna
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h343.html

Hosanna to the living Lord!
Hosanna to the incarnate Word!
To Christ, Creator, Savior, King,
let earth, let heaven, hosanna sing!
Hosanna Lord! Hosanna in the highest!

Hosanna Lord! thine angels cry;
Hosanna Lord! thy saints reply;
above, beneath us, and around,
both death and living swell the sound:
Hosanna Lord! Hosanna in the highest!

O Savior, with protecting care
abide in this thy house of prayer,
where we thy parting promise claim.
assembled in thy sacred Name:
Hosanna Lord! Hosanna in the highest!

But, chiefest, in our cleansŠed breast,
Eternal! bid thy Spirit rest;
and make our secret soul to be
a temple pure and worthy thee.
Hosanna Lord! Hosanna in the highest!

So in the last and dreadful day,
when earth and heaven shall melt away,
thy flock, redeemed from sinful stain,
shall swell the sound of praise again.
Hosanna Lord! Hosanna in the highest!

Jesus, bread from heaven,
you satisfy the hungry with good things:
Grant us a share with all the faithful departed,
especially your servant, Pope John Paul,
in the banquet of your kingdom.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, the light of the world,
you gave the man born blind the gift of sight:
Open the eye of faith
and bring us from darkness
to your eternal light and glory.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, Son of the living God,
you summoned your friend Lazarus from death to life:
Raise us at the last to full and eternal life with you.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, crucified Savior,
in your dying you entrusted
Mary your Mother and John your Beloved to each other:
Sustain and comfort all who mourn.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, our Way and Truth and Life,
you drew your disciple Thomas from doubt to faith:
Reveal the resurrection faith to the doubting and the lost:
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

May God in his infinite mercy
bring the whole Church,
living and departed in the Lord Jesus,
to a joyful resurrection
and the fulfillment of his eternal kingdom. Amen.

O Lord, who did not abandon your Faithful One in the Pit
but raised him victorious from the grave:
show the path of life
   to those redeemed as his own possession,
that they may attain to the fullness of joy;

you granted to Reginald Heber
a manifold life of service,
to shepherd a rural parish in England
and to preach in the cities of India.
Give to your people such faithfulness,
that in every place and circumstance
they may sing of your power
and minister your gifts
for the glory of your Name;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May God, who through the resurrection
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
has given us the victory,
give us joy and peace in our faith. Amen.

Contemporary Language_.

The second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General
Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.