OREMUS: 2 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Apr 1 18:13:24 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, April 2, 2005
Saturday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

I will exalt you, O Lord,
   because you have lifted me up*
 and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to you,*
 and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O Lord, from the dead;*
 you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the Lord, you servants of his;*
 give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye,*
 his favour for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night,*
 but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
   'I shall never be disturbed.*
 You, Lord, with your favour,
   made me as strong as the mountains.'
Then you hid your face,*
 and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O Lord;*
 I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
'What profit is there in my blood,
   if I go down to the Pit?*
 will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
'Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me;*
 O Lord, be my helper.'
You have turned my wailing into dancing;*
 you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy;
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing;*
 O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1:3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.

In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,

To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,

According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,

According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,

To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Daniel 3:19-30]:

Then Nebuchadnezzar was so filled with rage against
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego that his face was
distorted. He ordered the furnace to be heated up seven
times more than was customary, and ordered some of the
strongest guards in his army to bind Shadrach, Meshach,
and Abednego and to throw them into the furnace of
blazing fire. So the men were bound, still wearing their
tunics, their trousers, their hats, and their other
garments, and they were thrown into the furnace of
blazing fire. Because the king's command was urgent and
the furnace was so overheated, the raging flames killed
the men who lifted Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. But
the three men, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, fell
down, bound, into the furnace of blazing fire.
Then King Nebuchadnezzar was astonished and rose up
quickly. He said to his counsellors, 'Was it not three
men that we threw bound into the fire?' They answered the
king, 'True, O king.' He replied, 'But I see four men
unbound, walking in the middle of the fire, and they are
not hurt; and the fourth has the appearance of a god.'
Nebuchadnezzar then approached the door of the furnace of
blazing fire and said, 'Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego,
servants of the Most High God, come out! Come here!' So
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego came out from the fire.
And the satraps, the prefects, the governors, and the
king's counsellors gathered together and saw that the
fire had not had any power over the bodies of those men;
the hair of their heads was not singed, their tunics were
not harmed, and not even the smell of fire came from
them. Nebuchadnezzar said, 'Blessed be the God of
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who has sent his angel
and delivered his servants who trusted in him. They
disobeyed the king's command and yielded up their bodies
rather than serve and worship any god except their own
God. Therefore I make a decree: Any people, nation, or
language that utters blasphemy against the God of
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego shall be torn limb from
limb, and their houses laid in ruins; for there is no
other god who is able to deliver in this way.' Then the
king promoted Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the
province of Babylon.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 4:23-31

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (c)
Tune: Song 46
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a160.html

All shall be well! For on our Easter skies
see Christ the sun of righteousness arise.

All shall be well! The sacrifice is made,
the sinner freed, the price of pardon paid.

All shall be well! The cross and passion past,
dark night is done, bright morning come at last.

All shall be well! Lift every voice on high;
"Death has no more dominion but shall die."

Jesus alive! Rejoice and sing again;
all shall be well for evermore, Amen!

Jesus, Light of the world,
bring the light and peace of your Gospel
to the nations.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Bread of life,
give food to the hungry
and nourish us all with your Word.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, our Way, our Truth, our Life,
be with us and all who follow in the way.
Deepen our appreciation of your truth
and fill us with your life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Good Shepherd,
who gave your life for the sheep,
recover the straggler,
bind up the injured,
strengthen the sick
and lead the healthy and strong to new pastures.
We pray especially for Pope John Paul.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, the Resurrection and the Life,
we give you thanks for all who have lived and believed in you.
Raise us with them to eternal life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

We thank you, heavenly Father,
that you have delivered us
from the dominion of sin and death
and brought us into the kingdom of your Son;
and we pray that, as by his death he has recalled us to life,
so by his love he may raise us to eternal joys;
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

Hymn (c) 1984 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, Europe
& Africa, contact: Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith, 9
Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England

The intercession is adapted from a prayer in _New Patterns for
Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.