OREMUS: 1 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 31 17:19:51 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Monday, November 1, 2004
All Saints

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for surrounding with so great a cloud of witnesses:

For all the saints
who went before us,
who have spoken to our hearts
and touched us with your fire:
We praise you, O God.

For all the saints
who live beside us,
whose weaknesses and strengths
are woven with our own:
We praise you, O God.

For all the saints,
who live beyond us,
who challenge us
to change the world with them:
We praise you, O God.

   I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

   Happy are they who fear the Lord*
 and have great delight in his commandments!
Their descendants will be mighty in the land;*
 the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches will be in their house,*
 and their righteousness will last for ever.
Light shines in the darkness for the upright;*
 the righteous are merciful and full of compassion.
It is good for them to be generous in lending*
 and to manage their affairs with justice.
For they will never be shaken;*
 the righteous will be kept in everlasting remembrance.
They will not be afraid of any evil rumours;*
 their heart is right;
   they put their trust in the Lord.
Their heart is established and will not shrink,*
 until they see their desire upon their enemies.
They have given freely to the poor,*
 and their righteousness stands fast for ever;
   they will hold up their head with honour.
The wicked will see it and be angry;
   they will gnash their teeth and pine away;*
 the desires of the wicked will perish.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Hebrews 11.32 - 12.2]:

And what more should I say? For time would fail me to
tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and
Samuel and the prophets  who through faith conquered
kingdoms, administered justice, obtained promises, shut
the mouths of lions, quenched raging fire, escaped the
edge of the sword, won strength out of weakness, became
mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. Women
received their dead by resurrection. Others were
tortured, refusing to accept release, in order to obtain
a better resurrection. Others suffered mocking and
flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. They were
stoned to death, they were sawn in two, they were killed
by the sword; they went about in skins of sheep and
goats, destitute, persecuted, tormented  of whom the
world was not worthy. They wandered in deserts and
mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground.
Yet all these, though they were commended for their
faith, did not receive what was promised, since God had
provided something better so that they would not, without
us, be made perfect.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of
witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin
that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance
the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the
pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of
the joy that was set before him endured the cross,
disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the
right hand of the throne of God.

For another Biblical reading,
Isaiah 65:17-25

HYMN
Words: Rowland Hill, 1783
Tune: Sandys Psalm 8
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l194.html

Lo! round the throne, a glorious band,
the saints in countless myriads stand,
of every tongue redeemed to God,
arrayed in garments washed in blood.

Through tribulation great they came;
they bore the cross, despised the shame;
from all their labors now they rest,
in God's eternal glory blest.

They see their Savior face to face,
and sing the triumphs of his grace;
him day and night they ceaseless praise,
to him the loud thanksgiving raise:

"Worthy the Lamb, for sinners slain,
through endless years to live and reign;
thou hast redeemed us by thy blood,
and made us kings and priests to God."

O may we tread the sacred road
that saints and holy martyrs trod;
wage to the end the glorious strife,
and win, like them, a crown of life.

God of the ages,
we praise you for all your servants,
who have done justice, loved mercy,
and walked humbly with their God.
For apostles and martyrs and saints
of every time and place,
who in life and death have witnessed to your truth,
- we praise you, O God.

For all your servants who have faithfully served you,
witnessed bravely, and died in faith,
who are still shining lights in the world,
- we praise you, O God.

For those no longer remembered,
who earnestly sought after you in darkness,
who held fast their faith in trial,
and served others,
- we praise you, O God.

For those who have known and loved,
who by their faithful obedience and steadfast hope,
have shown the same mind that was in Christ Jesus,
- we praise you, O God.

Keep us grateful for their witness,
and, like them, eager to follow in the way of Christ.
Then at the last, bring us with them
to share in the inheritance of the saints in light;
through Jesus Christ
the pioneer and perfecter of our faith,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Almighty God,
you have knit together your elect
in one communion and fellowship
in the mystical body of your Son Christ our Lord:
Give us grace so to follow your blessed saints
in all virtuous and godly living,
that we may come to those ineffable joys
you have prepared for those who truly love you;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Then is sung the Te Deum or
Holy God, we praise thy Name

We praise you, O God,
we acclaim you as the Lord;
all creation worships you,
the Father everlasting.
To you all angels, all the powers of heaven,
the cherubim and seraphim, sing in endless praise:
Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might,
heaven and earth are full of your glory.
The glorious company of apostles praise you.
The noble fellowship of prophets praise you.
The white-robed army of martyrs praise you.
Throughout the world the holy Church acclaims you:
Father, of majesty unbounded,
your true and only Son, worthy of all praise,
the Holy Spirit, advocate and guide.
You, Christ, are the King of glory,
the eternal Son of the Father.
When you took our flesh to set us free
you humbly chose the Virgin's womb.
You overcame the sting of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven to all believers.
You are seated at God's right hand in glory.
We believe that you will come and be our judge.
Come then, Lord, and help your people,
bought with the price of your own blood,
and bring us with your saints
to glory everlasting.

May God, who kindled the fire of his love
in the hearts of the saints,
pour upon us the riches of his grace. Amen.

May he give us joy in their fellowship
and a share in their praises. Amen.

May he strengthen us to follow them
in the way of holiness
and to come to the full radiance of glory. Amen.

Let us bless the Lord.
Thanks be to God.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving includes a prayer by Janet Morley
in _Bread of Tomorrow_, (c) 1992, Christian
Aid/SPCK.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_,
(c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer According to
the use of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing blessing is from _The Promise of His Glory_
(Mowbray), (c) The Central Board of Finance  of the Church of
England 1990, 1991, which is used with permission.