OREMUS: 31 October 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 30 22:27:09 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Sunday, October 31, 2004
The Twenty-Second Sunday after Pentecost

through your beloved Son, Jesus Christ,
who teaches us to be attentive
to the voices others ignore
that we might respond
through the power of the Holy Spirit
to heal the afflicted
and to welcome the abandoned
for your sake and for the sake of the gospel.

Happy are they whose transgressions are forgiven,*
 and whose sin is put away!
Happy are they to whom the Lord imputes no guilt,*
 and in whose spirit there is no guile!
While I held my tongue, my bones withered away,*
 because of my groaning all day long.
For your hand was heavy upon me day and night;*
 my moisture was dried up as in the heat of summer.
Then I acknowledged my sin to you,*
 and did not conceal my guilt.
I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord';*
 then you forgave me the guilt of my sin.
Therefore all the faithful will make their prayers to you
   in time of trouble;*
 when the great waters overflow, they shall not reach them.
You are my hiding-place;
   you preserve me from trouble;*
 you surround me with shouts of deliverance.
'I will instruct you and teach you
   in the way that you should go;*
 I will guide you with my eye.
'Do not be like horse or mule,
   which have no understanding;*
 who must be fitted with bit and bridle,
   or else they will not stay near you.'
Great are the tribulations of the wicked;*
 but mercy embraces those who trust in the Lord.
Be glad, you righteous, and rejoice in the Lord;*
 shout for joy, all who are true of heart.

Benedicite: A Song of Creation

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you heavens:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you angels of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all people on earth:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

O people of God bless the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you priests of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you servants of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all you of upright spirit:
 bless the Lord you that are holy and humble in heart;

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Luke 19:11-26]:

As they were listening to this, he went on to tell a
parable, because he was near Jerusalem, and because they
supposed that the kingdom of God was to appear
immediately. So he said, 'A nobleman went to a distant
country to get royal power for himself and then return.
He summoned ten of his slaves, and gave them ten pounds,
and said to them, "Do business with these until I come
back." But the citizens of his country hated him and sent
a delegation after him, saying, "We do not want this man
to rule over us." When he returned, having received royal
power, he ordered these slaves, to whom he had given the
money, to be summoned so that he might find out what they
had gained by trading. The first came forward and said,
"Lord, your pound has made ten more pounds." He said to
him, "Well done, good slave! Because you have been
trustworthy in a very small thing, take charge of ten
cities." Then the second came, saying, "Lord, your pound
has made five pounds." He said to him, "And you, rule
over five cities." Then the other came, saying, "Lord,
here is your pound. I wrapped it up in a piece of cloth,
for I was afraid of you, because you are a harsh man; you
take what you did not deposit, and reap what you did not
sow." He said to him, "I will judge you by your own
words, you wicked slave! You knew, did you, that I was a
harsh man, taking what I did not deposit and reaping what
I did not sow? Why then did you not put my money into the
bank? Then when I returned, I could have collected it
with interest." He said to the bystanders, "Take the
pound from him and give it to the one who has ten
pounds." (And they said to him, "Lord, he has ten
pounds!") "I tell you, to all those who have, more will
be given; but from those who have nothing, even what they
have will be taken away.

For another Biblical reading,

Habakkuk 2:18-20; 3:16-19

HYMN
Words: Erik Routley (c)
Tune: Birabus, Charlestown, Omni die
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a185.html

All who love and serve your city,
all who bear its daily stress,
all who cry for peace and justice,
all who curse and all who bless,

In your day of loss and sorrow,
in your day of helpless strife,
honor, peace, and love retreating,
seek the Lord, who is your life.

In your day of wrath and plenty,
wasted work and wasted play,
call to mind the word of Jesus,
"I must work while it is day."

For all days are days of judgment,
and the Lord is waiting still,
drawing near a world that spurns him,
offering peace from Calvary's hill.

Risen Lord! shall yet the city
be the city of despair?
Come today, our Judge, our Glory;
be its name, "The Lord is there!"

Lord God of all creation,
you rule and judge all nations,
you scatter the arrogant of mind and heart,
you cast down rulers from their thrones and raise up the lowly.

Hear our prayers as we near
the upcoming election day in the United States.

Soon we will elect those who serve in our government:
the voices that call us to go this way or that way are confusing,
the signs of these times that we must discern are tragic and unjust,
the culture of death that afflicts all people is powerful.

Open our eyes to see your Reign in history,
our hearts to share your love with all people,
our ears to hear the cry of the widow, the orphan,
and the stranger among us.

Send your Holy Spirit upon the people of this land:
Teach us to make wise and prudent decisions.

Increase our faith and hope.
Help us to live the Gospel we profess.

May all who are elected
do justice,
love goodness,
and walk humbly before you and all people.
We ask this through your Son, Jesus Christ,
Redeemer and Savior.  Amen.

Creator God,
you have filled the world with beauty:
Open our eyes to behold
your gracious hand in all your works;
that, rejoicing in your whole creation,
we may learn to serve you with gladness;
for the sake of him by whom all things were made,
your Son Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, now and forever.  Amen.

Assured of your love,
help us to cast aside all fear,
that we may love our neighbors as ourselves. Amen.

_Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002
Consultation on Common Texts

Hymn (c) 1969 by Stainer & Bell Ltd.
(admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188).
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company, <a
href="http://www.hopepublishing.com">www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The intercession is slightly adapted from a prayer from justpeace.org

Westminster / John Knox Press.