OREMUS: 30 October 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Oct 29 19:10:06 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Saturday, October 30, 2004

Blessed are you, strong and faithful God.
You give us breath and speech,
that all the living might find a voice to sing your praise,
and to celebrate the creation you call good.
As a mother tenderly gathers her children,
as a father joyfully welcomes his own,
you embrace a people called as your own
and fill us with longing for a peace that will last
and a justice that will never fail.

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [John 11:32-44]:

When Mary came where Jesus was and saw him, she knelt at
his feet and said to him, 'Lord, if you had been here, my
brother would not have died.' When Jesus saw her weeping,
and the Jews who came with her also weeping, he was
greatly disturbed in spirit and deeply moved. He said,
'Where have you laid him?' They said to him, 'Lord, come
and see.' Jesus began to weep. So the Jews said, 'See how
he loved him!' But some of them said, 'Could not he who
opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from
dying?'
Then Jesus, again greatly disturbed, came to the tomb. It
was a cave, and a stone was lying against it. Jesus said,
'Take away the stone.' Martha, the sister of the dead
man, said to him, 'Lord, already there is a stench
because he has been dead for four days.' Jesus said to
her, 'Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would
see the glory of God?' So they took away the stone. And
Jesus looked upwards and said, 'Father, I thank you for
having heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I
have said this for the sake of the crowd standing here,
so that they may believe that you sent me.' When he had
said this, he cried with a loud voice, 'Lazarus, come
out!' The dead man came out, his hands and feet bound
with strips of cloth, and his face wrapped in a cloth.
Jesus said to them, 'Unbind him, and let him go.'

For another Biblical reading,
Lamentations 3:22-35

HYMN
Words: William Walsham How (1823-1897), 1872
Tune: Herongate, Gideon
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i338.html

It is a thing most wonderful,
almost too wonderful to be,
that God's own Son should come from heaven,
and die to save a child like me.

And yet I know that it is true:
he chose a poor and humble lot,
and wept, and toiled, and mourned, and died,
for love of those who loved him not.

I cannot tell how he would love
a child so weak and full of sin;
his love must be most wonderful,
if he could die my love to win.

I sometimes think about the cross,
and shut my eyes, and try to see
the cruel nails and crown of thorns
and Jesus crucified for me.

But even could I see him die,
I could but see a little part
of that great love, which, like a fire,
is always burning in his heart.

It is most wonderful to know
his love for me so free and sure;
but 'tis more wonderful to see
my love for him so faint and poor.

And yet I want to love thee, Lord;
O light the flame within my heart,
and I will love thee more and more,
until I see thee as thou art.

Loving God, in Jesus Christ you teach us to pray:

Guide us by your Holy Spirit
that our prayers for others may serve your will
and show your steadfast love for all.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Gracious God,
you have called together a people
to be the Church of Jesus Christ,
founded on the apostles.
Hear our prayer for the Diocese of
Jos, Nigeria, The Rt Revd Benjamin Argak Kwashi, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Kabba, Nigeria, The Rt Revd Samuel Olayanju, Bishop.
May your people be one in faith and discipleship,
breaking bread together and telling good news.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

May the world come to believe that you are love,
turn to your ways and live in the light of your truth.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

You made all things and called them good.
May your planet earth be held in reverence by all people,
that its resources may be used wisely
and its fragile balance between life and death respected.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Hear our prayers for those who rule the nations,
that they may learn wisdom and truth,
establish justice and mercy
and seek the ways of peace.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Lord God, King of the Universe,
you show the bright glory of your reign
in acts of mercy and enduring love:
raise the spirits of the downcast
and restore those who have fallen away,
that your Church may continually sing of your saving help;

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The psalms and the collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with

The opening prayer and the closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in
_Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John
Knox Press.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer in _The Book of Common
Worship. The Presbyterian Church in Canada_, 1991.