OREMUS: 29 October 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Oct 28 18:13:24 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Friday, October 29, 2004
James Hannington, Bishop of Eastern Equatorial Africa, Martyr in Uganda, 1885

Blessed are you, strong and faithful God.
You give us breath and speech,
that all the living might find a voice to sing your praise,
and to celebrate the creation you call good.
As a mother tenderly gathers her children,
as a father joyfully welcomes his own,
you embrace a people called as your own
and fill us with longing for a peace that will last
and a justice that will never fail.

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2:5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
 but he did not cling to equality with God.

He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
 and was born in our human likeness.

Being found in human form he humbled himself,
 and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Therefore God has highly exalted him,
 and bestowed on him the name above every name.

That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow,
 in heaven and on earth and under the earth;

And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
 to the glory of God the Father.

READING [Mark 10:35-45]:

James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came forward to him
and said to him, 'Teacher, we want you to do for us
whatever we ask of you.' And he said to them, 'What is it
you want me to do for you?' And they said to him, 'Grant
us to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left,
in your glory.' But Jesus said to them, 'You do not know
what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I
drink, or be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized
with?' They replied, 'We are able.' Then Jesus said to
them, 'The cup that I drink you will drink; and with the
baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized;
but to sit at my right hand or at my left is not mine to
grant, but it is for those for whom it has been
prepared.'
When the ten heard this, they began to be angry with
James and John. So Jesus called them and said to them,
'You know that among the Gentiles those whom they
recognize as their rulers lord it over them, and their
great ones are tyrants over them. But it is not so among
you; but whoever wishes to become great among you must be
your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you
must be slave of all. For the Son of Man came not to be
served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for
many.'

For another Biblical reading,
Zechariah 6:9-15

HYMN
Words: Richard Mant, 1837
Tune: Austria
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b191.html

Bright the vision that delighted
once the sight of Judah's seer;
sweet the countless tongues united
to entrance the prophet's ear.

Round the Lord in glory seated
cherubim and seraphim
filled his temple, and repeated
each to each the alternate hymn:

"Lord, thy glory fills the heaven;
earth is with its fullness stored;
unto thee be glory given,
Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord."

Heaven is still with glory ringing,
earth takes up the angels' cry,
"Holy, Holy, Holy," singing,
"Lord of Hosts, the Lord most high."

With his seraph train before him,
with his holy Church below,
thus unite we to adore him,
bid we thus our anthem flow:

"Lord, thy glory fills the heaven;
earth is with its fullness stored;
unto thee be glory given,
Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord."

Faithful God, Lord of all,
we offer our prayers to you
for a world in need.

Lord of the Church, we pray for your people throughout the world,
especially in the Diocese of Johannesburg, South Africa,
The Rt Revd Brian Charles Germond, Bishop.
Give unity in the Spirit
that we may be one in the witness of saving love
and glorify you with one mind and mouth.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Head of the Body,
give us wisdom to follow your commandments,
to live peacefully and do justly,
and to walk humbly with you.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Creator and ruler of the universe,
give to all who exercise authority
wisdom and virtue to govern justly
and bring peace across the land.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Source of all compassion,
give to all who suffer
the light of your presence and the caring of your people,
to bring calm and comfort.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Giver of good to all,
take from us any evil thought or will
that we may forgive those who offend us or seek our harm
as you have forgiven us.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

All-knowing One, you who see us as we are
and know us as we should be:
forgive our sins, set us free from fear,
and give us lives abundant with your guiding presence,
that we may be yours for ever,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Your kingdom come, O Lord,
with deliverance for the needy,
with peace for the righteous,
with overflowing blessing for all nations,
with glory, honour and praise
   for the only Saviour,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Grant, O God,
that we who this day commemorate
your servant James Hannington and his fellow-martyrs of Uganda,
may, by their courage and devotion, be stirred up
to a deeper love of our Savior
and to perseverance in the Christian calling;

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The psalms and the first collect are from _Celebrating Common
Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is
used with permission.

The opening prayer and the closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in
_Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John
Knox Press.

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Arlene M.
Mark, from _Words for Worship_; used by permission of Herald
Press.

Among the new nations of Africa, Uganda is the most predominantly Christian.
Mission work began there in the 1870's with the favor of King Mutesa, who
died in 1884. However, his son and successor, King Mwanga, opposed all
foreign presence, including the missions.
James Hannington, born 1847, was sent out from England in 1884 by the
Anglican Church as missionary Bishop of Eastern Equatorial Africa. As he was
travelling toward Uganda, he was apprehended by emissaries of King Mwanga.
He and his companions were brutally treated and, a week later, 29 October
1885, most of them were put to death. Hannington's last words were: "Go tell
your master that I have purchased the road to Uganda with my blood."
The first native martyr was the Roman Catholic Joseph Mkasa Balikuddembe,
who was beheaded after having rebuked the king for his debauchery and for
the murder of Bishop Hannington. On 3 June 1886, a group of 32 men and
boys, 22 Roman Catholic and 10 Anglican, were burned at the stake. Most of
them were young pages in Mwanga's household, from their head-man, Charles
Lwanga, to the thirteen-year-old Kizito, who went to his death "laughing and
chattering." These and many other Ugandan Christians suffered for their faith
then and in the next few years. [James Kiefer, abridged]