OREMUS: 27 October 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Oct 26 17:00:01 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Blessed are you, strong and faithful God.
You give us breath and speech,
that all the living might find a voice to sing your praise,
and to celebrate the creation you call good.
As a mother tenderly gathers her children,
as a father joyfully welcomes his own,
you embrace a people called as your own
and fill us with longing for a peace that will last
and a justice that will never fail.

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of the Messiah (from Isaiah 9

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
upon them the light has dawned.

You have increased their joy and given them great gladness;
they rejoiced before you as with joy at the harvest.

For you have shattered the yoke that burdened them;
the collar that lay heavy on their shoulders.

For to us a child is born and to us a son is given,
and the government will be upon his shoulder.

And his name will be called: Wonderful Counsellor,
the Mighty God;
the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.

Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,

Upon the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish and uphold it with justice and righteousness.

>From this time forth and for evermore;
the zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Mark 9:42-50]:

Jesus said, 'If any of you put a stumbling-block before
one of these little ones who believe in me, it would be
better for you if a great millstone were hung around your
neck and you were thrown into the sea. If your hand
causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you
to enter life maimed than to have two hands and to go to
hell, to the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes
you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter
life lame than to have two feet and to be thrown into
hell.+t,+u And if your eye causes you to stumble, tear it
out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God
with one eye than to have two eyes and to be thrown into
hell, where their worm never dies, and the fire is never
quenched.
'For everyone will be salted with fire. Salt is good; but
if salt has lost its saltiness, how can you season it?
Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one
another.'

For another Biblical reading,
Joel 3:17-21

HYMN
Words: Henry Alford, 1871
Tune: St. Alban, St. Boniface, Upwick
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f246.html

Forward! be our watchword, steps and voices joined;
seek the things before us, not a look behind;
burns the fiery pillar at our army's head;
who shall dream of shrinking, by our Captain led?
Forward through the desert, through the toil and fight;
Jordan flows before us; Zion beams with light.

Forward! flock of Jesus, salt of all the earth,
till each yearning purpose spring to glorious birth:
sick, they ask for healing; blind, they grope for day;
pour upon the nations wisdom's loving ray.
Forward, out of error, leave behind the night;
forward through the darkness, forward into light!

Glories upon glories hath our God prepared,
by the souls that love him one day to be shared;
eye hath not beheld them, ear hath never heard;
nor of these hath uttered thought or speech a word;
forward, marching eastward, where the heaven is bright,
till the veil be lifted, till our faith be sight.

Far o'er yon horizon rise the city towers
where our God abideth; that fair home is ours:
flash the streets with jasper, shine the gates with gold;
flows the gladdening river shedding joys untold.
Thither, onward, thither, in Jehovah's might;
pilgrims to your country, forward into light!

To the Father's glory loudest anthems raise;
to the Son and Spirit echo songs of praise;
to the Lord Jehovah, blessed Three in One,
be by men and angels endless honor done.
Weak are earthly praises, dull the songs of night:
forward into triumph, forward into light!

Let us pray for the grace to recognize
the presence of God in our lives.

Open our eyes to see your salvation;
reveal yourself to a blind humanity.

Make your face shine upon those who live with disease;
give them your strength and your peace.

Let all who are weighed down by want come to know your bounty;
that they may put their trust in your goodness.

To those who hold power and riches, grant a discerning spirit;
that they may be set free by your freedom and love.

For your Church, we pray, O Lord, especially the Diocese of
Jerusalem, The Rt Revd Riah Hanna Abu El-Assal, Bishop.
Shed forth your Spirit that we may be strengthened in our work.

Lord,
who created and fashioned us,
who knows us and searches us out,
who abides with us through light and dark:
help us to know your presence in this life
and, in the life to come, still to be with you;
where you are alive and reign,
God, for ever and ever. Amen.

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The psalms and the collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with

The opening prayer and the closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in
_Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John
Knox Press.

The intercession is based on a prayer in _In Spirit and In Truth_,
(c) World Council of Churches, 1991.