OREMUS: 25 October 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 24 17:10:28 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Monday, October 25, 2004

Blessed are you, strong and faithful God.
You give us breath and speech,
that all the living might find a voice to sing your praise,
and to celebrate the creation you call good.
As a mother tenderly gathers her children,
as a father joyfully welcomes his own,
you embrace a people called as your own
and fill us with longing for a peace that will last
and a justice that will never fail.

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'<td
colspan=2>
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Mark 9:14-29]:

When they came to the disciples, they saw a great crowd around them, and some scribes arguing
with them. When the whole crowd saw him, they were immediately overcome with awe, and they
ran forward to greet him. He asked them, 'What are you arguing about with them?' Someone
from the crowd answered him, 'Teacher, I brought you my son; he has a spirit that makes him
unable to speak; and whenever it seizes him, it dashes him down; and he foams and grinds his
teeth and becomes rigid; and I asked your disciples to cast it out, but they could not do so.' He
answered them, 'You faithless generation, how much longer must I be among you? How much
longer must I put up with you? Bring him to me.' And they brought the boy to him. When the
spirit saw him, immediately it threw the boy into convulsions, and he fell on the ground and rolled
about, foaming at the mouth. Jesus asked the father, 'How long has this been happening to him?'
And he said, 'From childhood. It has often cast him into the fire and into the water, to destroy
him; but if you are able to do anything, have pity on us and help us.' Jesus said to him, 'If you are
able! All things can be done for the one who believes.' Immediately the father of the child cried
out, 'I believe; help my unbelief!' When Jesus saw that a crowd came running together, he
rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, 'You spirit that keep this boy from speaking and hearing, I
command you, come out of him, and never enter him again!' After crying out and convulsing him
terribly, it came out, and the boy was like a corpse, so that most of them said, 'He is dead.' But
Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him up, and he was able to stand. When he had entered the
house, his disciples asked him privately, 'Why could we not cast it out?' He said to them, 'This
kind can come out only through prayer.'

For another Biblical reading,
Joel 3:1-8

HYMN
Words: Henry Hart Milman, 1827
Tune: Bedford
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o260.html

O help us, Lord, each hour of need
thy heavenly succor give:
help us in thought, in word, and deed,
each hour on earth we live!

O help us, when our spirits cry
with contrite anguish sore;
and when our hearts are cold and dry,
O help us, Lord, the more!

O help us, through the prayer of faith,
more firmly to believe;
for still the more the servant hath,
the more shall he receive.

O help us, Jesus, from on high:
we know no help but thee;
O help us so to live and die
as thine in heaven to be.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Creator and Sustainer of life, God,
who ever calls us back
to his ways of justice and peace:
we thank you for the gift of the land,
for its beauty, and its resources,
and the rich heritage we enjoy.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

And so we pray:
for those who make decisions about our land and its resources;
for those who work on the land and sea,
in our cities, and in commerce and industry;
for artists, scientists, politicians, and visionaries.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Jamaica & The Cayman Islands, The Rt Revd Alfred Charles Reid, Bishop.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We thank you for giving us life, and for giving us our life together.
We pray for all who through their own or others' actions
are deprived of fullness of life;
for all who know sickness, disability, and an untimely death;
for all who devote their lives to ministering to the needs of others.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Give us reverence for life in this, your created world.
May we reflect the goodness of your creation
in the society we create with and for one another.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Lord,
you shared the limits of our life
to save us from the snares of death;
may we have the courage to walk before you
in the land of the living,
and witness to your presence before all the people;

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The canticle and the collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary

The opening prayer and the closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in
_Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John
Knox Press.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by David Bromell.