OREMUS: 24 October 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 23 17:00:00 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Sunday, October 24, 2004
The Twenty-First Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, strong and faithful God.
You give us breath and speech,
that all the living might find a voice to sing your praise,
and to celebrate the creation you call good.
As a mother tenderly gathers her children,
as a father joyfully welcomes his own,
you embrace a people called as your own
and fill us with longing for a peace that will last
and a justice that will never fail.

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

Psalm 100

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
   and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
   we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
   go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Luke 18:31-43]:

Jesus took the twelve aside and said to them, 'See, we
are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written
about the Son of Man by the prophets will be
accomplished. For he will be handed over to the Gentiles;
and he will be mocked and insulted and spat upon. After
they have flogged him, they will kill him, and on the
third day he will rise again.' But they understood
nothing about all these things; in fact, what he said was
hidden from them, and they did not grasp what was
said.
As he approached Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the
roadside begging. When he heard a crowd going by, he
asked what was happening. They told him, 'Jesus of
Nazareth is passing by.' Then he shouted, 'Jesus, Son of
David, have mercy on me!' Those who were in front sternly
ordered him to be quiet; but he shouted even more loudly,
'Son of David, have mercy on me!' Jesus stood still and
ordered the man to be brought to him; and when he came
near, he asked him, 'What do you want me to do for you?'
He said, 'Lord, let me see again.' Jesus said to him,
'Receive your sight; your faith has saved you.'
Immediately he regained his sight and followed him,
glorifying God; and all the people, when they saw it,
praised God.

For another Biblical reading,
Jeremiah 14:7-10,19-22

HYMN
Words: Samuel Crossman (1624-1683), 1664
Tune: Love Unknown
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/m/m187.html

My song is love unknown,
my Savior's love to me,
love to the loveless shown
that they might lovely be.
O who am I
that for my sake
my Lord should take
frail flesh and die?

He came from his blest throne
salvation to bestow,
but men made strange, and none
the longed-for Christ would know.
But O my friend,
my friend indeed,
who at my need,
his life did spend.

Sometimes they strew his way,
and his strong praises sing,
resounding all the day
hosannas to their King.
Then "Crucify!"
is all their breath,
and for his death
they thirst and cry.

Why, what hath my Lord done?
What makes this rage and spite?
He made the lame to run,
he gave the blind their sight.
Sweet injuries!
Yet they at these
themselves displease,
and 'gainst him rise.

They rise, and needs will have
my dear Lord made away;
a murderer they save,
the Prince of Life they slay.
Yet steadfast he
to suffering goes,
that he his foes
from thence might free.

Here might I stay and sing,
no story so divine:
never was love, dear King,
never was grief like thine.
This is my friend,
in whose sweet praise
I all my days
could gladly spend.

Let us cry out to God
for peace and a time of healing.

For all bishops,
for this holy gathering,
and for the people of God in every place.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For mercy, justice, and peace among all peoples.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For good weather,
abundant fruits of the earth,
and peaceful times.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For our city and those who live in it,
and for our families, companions, and all those we love.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For all those in danger and need:
the sick and the suffering,
travelers and strangers,
and all with heavy burdens.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For those who rest in Christ and for all the dead.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

Lifting our voices with all creation,
let us offer ourselves and one another
to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord.

O God,
who alone can probe the depths of the heart,
you hear the prayer of the humble
and justify the repentant sinner:
Grant us the gift of humility,
that we see our own sins clearly
and refrain from judging our neighbor.
We make our prayer through your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The opening prayer and the closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in
_Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John
Knox Press. The collect is from the same source.

The intercession is by Ormonde Plater; the response is by Stephen Benner.