OREMUS: 27 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 26 17:00:03 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Saturday, November 27, 2004

Blessed are you, loving God,
for you raised up your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
and seated him at your right hand
as the Shepherd and King
who seeks what is lost,
binds up what is wounded,
and strengthens what is weak.

 I will tell of all your marvellous works.
I will be glad and rejoice in you;*
 I will sing to your name, O Most High.
When my enemies are driven back,*
 they will stumble and perish at your presence.
For you have maintained my right and my cause;*
 you sit upon your throne judging right.
You have rebuked the ungodly and destroyed the wicked;*
 you have blotted out their name for ever and ever.
As for the enemy, they are finished, in perpetual ruin,*
 their cities ploughed under,
   the memory of them perished;
But the Lord is enthroned for ever;*
 he has set up his throne for judgement.
It is he who rules the world with righteousness;*
 he judges the peoples with equity.
The Lord will be a refuge for the oppressed,*
 a refuge in time of trouble.
Those who know your name will put their trust in you,*
 for you never forsake those who seek you, O Lord.
Sing praise to the Lord who dwells in Zion;*
 proclaim to the peoples the things he has done.
The avenger of blood will remember them;*
 he will not forget the cry of the afflicted.
Have pity on me, O Lord;*
 see the misery I suffer from those who hate me,
   O you who lift me up from the gate of death;
So that I may tell of all your praises
   and rejoice in your salvation*
 in the gates of the city of Zion.
The ungodly have fallen into the pit they dug,*
 and in the snare they set is their own foot caught.
The Lord is known by his acts of justice;*
 the wicked are trapped in the works of their own hands.
The wicked shall be given over to the grave,*
 and also all the peoples that forget God.
For the needy shall not always be forgotten,*
 and the hope of the poor shall not perish for ever.
Rise up, O Lord,
   let not the ungodly have the upper hand;*
 let them be judged before you.
Put fear upon them, O Lord;*
 let the ungodly know they are but mortal.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Matthew 24:15-28]:

Jesus said, 'So when you see the desolating sacrilege
standing in the holy place, as was spoken of by the
prophet Daniel (let the reader understand), then those in
Judea must flee to the mountains; someone on the housetop
must not go down to take what is in the house; someone in
the field must not turn back to get a coat. Woe to those
who are pregnant and to those who are nursing infants in
those days! Pray that your flight may not be in winter or
on a sabbath. For at that time there will be great
suffering, such as has not been from the beginning of the
world until now, no, and never will be. And if those days
had not been cut short, no one would be saved; but for
the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. Then
if anyone says to you, "Look! Here is the Messiah!" or
"There he is!" do not believe it. For false messiahs and
false prophets will appear and produce great signs and
omens, to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. Take
note, I have told you beforehand. So, if they say to you,
"Look! He is in the wilderness", do not go out. If they
say, "Look! He is in the inner rooms", do not believe it.
For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes as
far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.
Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.'

For another Biblical reading,
Isaiah 52:1-12

HYMN
Words: Godfrey Thring (1823-1903)
Tune: St. Thomas (Wade)
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j028.html

Jesus came--the heavens adoring--
came with peace from realms on high;
Jesus came for man's redemption,
lowly came on earth to die:
Alleluia, alleluia!
came in deep humility.

Jesus comes again in mercy,
when our hearts are bowed with care:
Jesus comes again in answer
to our earnest heart-felt prayer;
Alleluia, alleluia!
comes to save us from despair.

Jesus comes to hearts rejoicing,
bringing news of sins forgiven:
Jesus comes in sounds of gladness,
leading souls redeemed to heaven;
Alleluia, alleluia!
now the gate of death is riven.

Jesus comes on clouds triumphant,
when the heavens shall pass away;
Jesus comes again in glory;
let us then our homage pay;
Alleluia, alleluia!
till the dawn of endless day.

under whose wings we dwell in safety and mercy,
we give you thanks for all the seasons of grace:
for hope that cries out with prophetic voice,
for your gift of Emmanuel,
for your light that shines in the darkness:
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Enable us to make fresh beginnings
during these Advent days...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Release the everlasting stream of your justice and peace
that it may flow among the nations...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

For your Church reaching out in every place, especially
the Diocese of  Khartoum, Sudan, The Rt Revd Ezekiel Kondo, Bishop.
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Save and defend all who suffer want, brokenness, or trouble...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Resupply your Church and its leaders
with the oil of gladness and vigilance...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Righteous Judge,
hear the cries of your people.
Rescue them from the hands of their oppressors,
and save them from the gates of death,
that we may always rejoice in your help;
through Jesus Christ our Savior and Defender. Amen.

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer reprinted from
_Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002
Consultation on Common Texts.

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of
Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c)
1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing sentence is adapted from _Common Worship: Services and
Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in
this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.