OREMUS: 1 December 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 30 17:00:01 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Wednesday, December 1, 2004
World AIDS Day

Blessed are you, loving God,
ever faithful to your promises
and ever close to your church.
The earth rejoices in hope of the Savior's coming
and looks forward with longing
to his return at the end of time.
You call us to prepare our hearts
and remove that which hinders us
from the joy and hope his presence will bestow.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 17

Hear my plea of innocence, O Lord;
   give heed to my cry;*
 listen to my prayer,
   which does not come from lying lips.
Let my vindication come forth from your presence;*
 let your eyes be fixed on justice.
Weigh my heart, summon me by night,*
 melt me down; you will find no impurity in me.
I give no offence with my mouth as others do;*
 I have heeded the words of your lips.
My footsteps hold fast to the ways of your law;*
 in your paths my feet shall not stumble.
I call upon you, O God, for you will answer me;*
 incline your ear to me and hear my words.
Show me your marvellous loving-kindness,*
 O Saviour of those who take refuge at your right hand
   from those who rise up against them.
Keep me as the apple of your eye;*
 hide me under the shadow of your wings,
>From the wicked who assault me,*
 from my deadly enemies who surround me.
They have closed their heart to pity,*
 and their mouth speaks proud things.
They press me hard,
   now they surround me,*
 watching how they may cast me to the ground,
Like a lion, greedy for its prey,*
 and like a young lion lurking in secret places.
Arise, O Lord; confront them and bring them down;*
 deliver me from the wicked by your sword.
Deliver me, O Lord, by your hand*
 from those whose portion in life is this world;
Whose bellies you fill with your treasure,*
 who are well supplied with children
   and leave their wealth to their little ones.
But at my vindication I shall see your face;*
 when I awake, I shall be satisfied,
   beholding your likeness.

Psalm 53

The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'*
 All are corrupt and commit abominable acts;
   there is none who does any good.
God looks down from heaven upon us all,*
 to see if there is any who is wise,
   if there is one who seeks after God.
Every one has proved faithless;
   all alike have turned bad;*
 there is none who does good; no, not one.
Have they no knowledge, those evildoers*
 who eat up my people like bread
   and do not call upon God?
See how greatly they tremble,
   such trembling as never was;*
 for God has scattered the bones of the enemy;
   they are put to shame, because God has rejected them.
O that Israel's deliverance would come out of Zion!*
 when God restores the fortunes of his people
   Jacob will rejoice and Israel be glad.

A Song of the Lamb (from Revelation 19)

Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
 whose judgements are true and just.

Praise our God, all you his servants,
 all who fear him, both small and great.

The Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns:
 let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory.

The marriage of the Lamb has come
 and his bride has made herself ready.

Blessed are those who are invited
 to the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [John 8:1-11]:

While Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. Early in the
morning he came again to the temple. All the people came
to him and he sat down and began to teach them. The
scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been
caught in adultery; and making her stand before all of
them, they said to him, 'Teacher, this woman was caught
in the very act of committing adultery. Now in the law
Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you
say?' They said this to test him, so that they might have
some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and
wrote with his finger on the ground. When they kept on
questioning him, he straightened up and said to them,
'Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to
throw a stone at her.' And once again he bent down and
wrote on the ground. When they heard it, they went away,
one by one, beginning with the elders; and Jesus was left
alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus
straightened up and said to her, 'Woman, where are they?
Has no one condemned you?' She said, 'No one, sir.' And
Jesus said, 'Neither do I condemn you. Go your way, and
from now on do not sin again.'

For another Biblical reading,
Isaiah 13:1-12

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green (c)
Tune: Angelus, Bow Brickhill, Daniel, Ely, Invercarry, Melcombe
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o043.html

O Christ, the healer, we have come
to pray for health, to plead for friends.
How can we fail to be restored,
when reached by love that never ends?

>From every ailment flesh endures
our bodies clamor to be freed;
yet in our hearts we would confess
that wholeness is our deepest need.

How strong, O Lord, are our desires,
how weak our knowledge of ourselves!
Release in us those healing truths
unconscious pride resists or shelves.

In conflicts that destroy our health,
we diagnose the world's disease;
our common life declares our ills:
is there no cure, O Christ, for these?

Grant that we all, made one in faith,
in your community may find
the wholeness that, enriching us,
shall reach the whole of humankind.

We praise you, Holy One, for the gift of life,
precious, stubborn, fragile and beautiful;
We are grateful for the time we have to live upon the earth,
to love, to grow, to be.

We give thanks for the will to live
and for our capacity to live fully
all of the days that we are given;
 and for those who have taken
from the devastation of AIDS
the opportunity to build lives of wholeness.

We give you thanks for the partners,
friends, caregivers and families
who have been steadfast in their love;
for the people who have devoted their life's work
to the prevention, treatment and healing of HIV
with passion and commitment,

For the diligent science,
brilliant ideas and insights
that have led to new, life-giving treatments,
For the governments who have acted
to provide health care
for people living with HIV.

We give thanks for those whose prejudice and judgment
have yielded to understanding,
For those who have overcome fear,
indifference or burnout
to embrace a life of caring compassion.

We praise you, Eternal One,
for those who have loved enough
that their hearts have broken,
who cherish the memories of those we have lost,
and for those who console the grieving.

God, grant us the love, courage, tenacity, and will
to continue to make a difference in a world with HIV;
Inspire us to challenge the forces
that allow the needless spread of AIDS to continue --
prejudice, unjust laws, repression, prudery, stigma and fear.
Into your care we trust and lift up those who have contracted HIV.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of truth and justice,
watch over your people in adversity,
that we may know the wonders of your love
and see the glory of your presence;
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Encircle us, O God. Keep love within, hatred out.
Encircle us, O God. Keep joy within, despair out.
Encircle us, O God. Keep peace within, disharmony out.
Encircle us, O God. Keep hopes within, discouragement out.

Your presence is in us. Your presence is around us. Your presence is love.
Your presence is in us. Your presence is around us. Your presence is joy.
Your presence is in us. Your presence is around us. Your presence is peace.
Your presence is in us. Your presence is around us. Your presence is hope.
Amen.

_Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with
permission.

Hymn (c) 1969 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The intercession is adapted from a prayer from The Metropolitan Community
Church.

The closing prayer is from material jointly produced by the Christian
Conference of Asia, the Hong Kong Christian Council, and St. John's
Cathedral HIV Education Centre