OREMUS: 28 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 27 17:00:02 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Sunday, November 28, 2004
The First Sunday of Advent

Blessed are you, loving God,
ever faithful to your promises
and ever close to your church.
The earth rejoices in hope of the Savior's coming
and looks forward with longing
to his return at the end of time.
You call us to prepare our hearts
and remove that which hinders us
from the joy and hope his presence will bestow.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 18:1-32

I love you, O Lord my strength,*
 O Lord my stronghold, my crag and my haven.
My God, my rock in whom I put my trust,*
 my shield, the horn of my salvation and my refuge;
   you are worthy of praise.
I will call upon the Lord,*
 and so shall I be saved from my enemies.
The breakers of death rolled over me,*
 and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid.
The cords of hell entangled me,*
 and the snares of death were set for me.
I called upon the Lord in my distress*
 and cried out to my God for help.
He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling;*
 my cry of anguish came to his ears.
The earth reeled and rocked;*
 the roots of the mountains shook;
   they reeled because of his anger.
Smoke rose from his nostrils
   and a consuming fire out of his mouth;*
 hot burning coals blazed forth from him.
He parted the heavens and came down*
 with a storm cloud under his feet.
He mounted on cherubim and flew;*
 he swooped on the wings of the wind.
He wrapped darkness about him;*
 he made dark waters and thick clouds his pavilion.
>From the brightness of his presence, through the clouds,*
 burst hailstones and coals of fire.
The Lord thundered out of heaven;*
 the Most High uttered his voice.
He loosed his arrows and scattered them;*
 he hurled thunderbolts and routed them.
The beds of the seas were uncovered,
   and the foundations of the world laid bare,*
 at your battle cry, O Lord,
   at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.
He reached down from on high and grasped me;*
 he drew me out of great waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemies
   and from those who hated me;*
 for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster;*
 but the Lord was my support.
He brought me out into an open place;*
 he rescued me because he delighted in me.
The Lord rewarded me because of my righteous dealing;*
 because my hands were clean he rewarded me;
For I have kept the ways of the Lord*
 and have not offended against my God;
For all his judgements are before my eyes,*
 and his decrees I have not put away from me;
For I have been blameless with him*
 and have kept myself from iniquity;
Therefore the Lord rewarded me
   according to my righteous dealing,*
 because of the cleanness of my hands in his sight.
With the faithful you show yourself faithful, O God;*
 with the forthright you show yourself forthright.
With the pure you show yourself pure,*
 but with the crooked you are wily.
You will save a lowly people,*
 but you will humble the haughty eyes.
You, O Lord, are my lamp;*
 my God, you make my darkness bright.
With you I will break down an enclosure;*
 with the help of my God I will scale any wall.
As for God, his ways are perfect;
   the words of the Lord are tried in the fire;*
 he is a shield to all who trust in him.
For who is God, but the Lord?*
 who is the rock, except our God?

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Isaiah 4:2-6]:

On that day the branch of the LORD shall be beautiful and
glorious, and the fruit of the land shall be the pride
and glory of the survivors of Israel. Whoever is left in
Zion and remains in Jerusalem will be called holy,
everyone who has been recorded for life in Jerusalem,
once the Lord has washed away the filth of the daughters
of Zion and cleansed the bloodstains of Jerusalem from
its midst by a spirit of judgement and by a spirit of
burning. Then the LORD will create over the whole site of
Mount Zion and over its places of assembly a cloud by day
and smoke and the shining of a flaming fire by night.
Indeed, over all the glory there will be a canopy. It
will serve as a pavilion, a shade by day from the heat,
and a refuge and a shelter from the storm and rain.

href="http://bible.oremus.org/?version=nrsvae&vnum=no&passage=Revelation+2:1-7">Revelatio
n 2:1-7

HYMN
Words:  Philipp Nicolai, 1597; paraphrased in Psalmodia Germanica, 1722
and altered by William Mercer, 1855, 1859.
Tune: Wie sch”n leuchtet (Frankfort)
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h362.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h362.html

How bright appears the Morning Star,
with mercy beaming from afar;
the host of heaven rejoices;
O righteous Branch, O Jesse's Rod!
Thou Son of Man and Son of God!
We, too, will lift our voices:
Jesus, Jesus!
Holy, holy, yet most lowly,
draw thou near us;
great Emmanuel, come and hear us.

Though circled by the hosts on high,
he deigned to cast a pitying eye
upon his helpless creature;
the whole creation's Head and Lord,
by highest seraphim adored,
assumed our very nature;
Jesus, grant us,
through thy merit, to inherit
thy salvation;
hear, O hear our supplication.

Rejoice, ye heavens; thou earth, reply;
with praise, ye sinners, fill the sky,
for this his Incarnation.
Incarnate God, put forth thy power,
ride on, ride on, great Conqueror,
till all know thy salvation.
Amen, amen!
Alleluia, alleluia!
Praise be given
evermore, by earth and heaven.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
For the Church:
that we may have the eyes of faith to recognize God's invitation
in the signs of our time and to recognize ways
to help others see God's redeeming love.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the grace of hope:
that our hearts may be filled with childlike expectancy
as we await the coming of God's reign in our lives.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For strength and peace in the face of suffering:
that God will plant the divine Word of hope deep in our hearts
and give us the strength to remain faithful
even when tragedy and suffering enter our lives.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all who live in fear and confusion,
for those living in refugee camps or mighty fortresses,
for those who have suffered abuse
or who live with painful memories of wrongs they have done:
that God's loving embrace will free them from fear
and open a new way of life for them.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all burdened with guilt and scruples:
that they may experience God's redeeming love
and accept the gift of freedom that God's love brings.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all people:
that Christ may increase our love for one another
and help us to be overflowing with generosity.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Faithful God,
your promises stand unshaken through all generations:
Renew us in hope, that we may be awake and alert
watching for the glorious return of Jesus Christ,
our judge and savior,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

O Son of God, our Savior,
today we await your coming,
and tomorrow we shall see your glory.
Reveal the good news to all of us
who long for your arrival.
Come, Love incarnate, do not delay.
Come, Lord Jesus! Amen.

_Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with
permission.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by the Center for Liturgy at Saint
Louis University.

Westminster / John Knox Press.