OREMUS: 26 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Nov 25 17:00:01 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Friday, November 26, 2004

Blessed are you, loving God,
for you raised up your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
and seated him at your right hand
as the Shepherd and King
who seeks what is lost,
binds up what is wounded,
and strengthens what is weak.

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holy-day.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

READING [Revelation 21:9-21]:

Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full
of the seven last plagues came and said to me, 'Come, I
will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.' And in
the spirit he carried me away to a great, high mountain
and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of
heaven from God. It has the glory of God and a radiance
like a very rare jewel, like jasper, clear as crystal. It
has a great, high wall with twelve gates, and at the
gates twelve angels, and on the gates are inscribed the
names of the twelve tribes of the Israelites; on the east
three gates, on the north three gates, on the south three
gates, and on the west three gates. And the wall of the
city has twelve foundations, and on them are the twelve
names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
The angel who talked to me had a measuring rod of gold to
measure the city and its gates and walls. The city lies
foursquare, its length the same as its width; and he
measured the city with his rod, fifteen hundred miles;
its length and width and height are equal. He also
measured its wall, one hundred and forty-four cubits by
human measurement, which the angel was using. The wall is
built of jasper, while the city is pure gold, clear as
glass. The foundations of the wall of the city are
adorned with every jewel; the first was jasper, the
second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, the
fifth onyx, the sixth cornelian, the seventh chrysolite,
the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase,
the eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst. And the
twelve gates are twelve pearls, each of the gates is a
single pearl, and the street of the city is pure gold,
transparent as glass.

For another Biblical reading,
Isaiah 35:1-10

HYMN
Words: Latin, seventh century; trans. John Mason Neale, 1851
Tune: Oriel, Urbs beata, St. Audrey
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b128.html

Blessed city, heavenly Salem,
vision dear of peace and love,
who of living stones art builded
in the height of heaven above,
and, with angel hosts encircled,
as a bride dost earthward move;

from celestial realms descending,
bridal glory round thee shed,
meet for him whose love espoused thee,
to thy Lord shalt thou be led;
all thy streets and all thy bulwarks
of pure gold are fashioned.

Bright thy gates of pearl are shining;
they are open evermore;
and by virtue of his merits
thither faithful souls do soar,
who for Christ's dear Name in this world
pain and tribulation bore.

Many a blow and biting sculpture
polished well those stones elect,
in their places now compacted
by the heavenly Architect,
who therewith hath willed for ever
that his palace should be decked.

Laud and honor to the Father,
laud and honor to the Son,
laud and honor to the Spirit,
ever Three, and ever One,
consubstantial, coeternal,
while unending ages run.

To the poor and exploited;
to lives overshadowed by conflict,
come with your message of justice and peace
Come, reveal yourself within our world, Lord.

To the lonely and unloved;
to lives overshadowed by suffering,
come with your friendship and concern
Come, reveal yourself in our community, Lord.

To both young and old on the journey of faith;
to lives overshadowed by doubt,
come with the gift of your Holy Spirit
Come, reveal yourself to the church, Lord.

We pray especially for the Diocese of Keewatin, Canada,
The Rt Revd David Ashdown, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Kentucky, USA, The Rt Revd Edwin Funsten Gulick, Bishop.

To the sinner and the seeker;
to lives overshadowed by emptiness,
come with the offering of salvation
Come, reveal yourself in human lives, Lord.

To the sick and anxious;
to lives overshadowed by sorrow,
come with all-sufficient love
Come, that we may know you with us in our need, Lord.

Creator God,
whose life-giving Spirit
wells up with streams of living water,
sustain those whose spirits are heavy
and whose wells have run dry,
through Jesus Christ,
the rock of our salvation. Amen.

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

The psalms and the collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer reprinted from
_Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002
Consultation on Common Texts.

The intercession is adapted from "Companion to the RCL", by Christine Odell

The closing sentence is adapted from _Common Worship: Services and
Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in
this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.