OREMUS: 24 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 23 19:54:18 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Blessed are you, loving God,
for you raised up your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
and seated him at your right hand
as the Shepherd and King
who seeks what is lost,
binds up what is wounded,
and strengthens what is weak.

We have heard with our ears, O God,
   our forebears have told us,*
 the deeds you did in their days,
   in the days of old.
How with your hand you drove the peoples out
   and planted our forebears in the land;*
 how you destroyed nations and made your people flourish.
For they did not take the land by their sword,
   nor did their arm win the victory for them;*
 but your right hand, your arm,
   and the light of your countenance,
   because you favoured them.
You are my King and my God;*
 you command victories for Jacob.
Through you we pushed back our adversaries;*
 through your name we trampled on those
   who rose up against us.
For I do not rely on my bow,*
 and my sword does not give me the victory.
Surely, you gave us victory over our adversaries*
 and put those who hate us to shame.
Every day we gloried in God,*
 and we will praise your name for ever.
Nevertheless, you have rejected and humbled us*
 and do not go forth with our armies.
You have made us fall back before our adversary,*
 and our enemies have plundered us.
You have made us like sheep to be eaten*
 and have scattered us among the nations.
You are selling your people for a trifle*
 and are making no profit on the sale of them.
You have made us the scorn of our neighbours,*
 a mockery and derision to those around us.
You have made us a byword among the nations,*
 a laughing-stock among the peoples.
My humiliation is daily before me,*
 and shame has covered my face;
Because of the taunts of the mockers and blasphemers,*
 because of the enemy and avenger.
All this has come upon us;*
 yet we have not forgotten you,
   nor have we betrayed your covenant.
Our heart never turned back,*
 nor did our footsteps stray from your path;
Though you thrust us down into a place of misery,*
 and covered us over with deep darkness.
If we have forgotten the name of our God,*
 or stretched out our hands to some strange god,
Will not God find it out?*
 for he knows the secrets of the heart.
Indeed, for your sake we are killed all the day long;*
 we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
Awake, O Lord! why are you sleeping?*
 Arise! do not reject us for ever.
Why have you hidden your face*
 and forgotten our affliction and oppression?
We sink down into the dust;*
 our body cleaves to the ground.
Rise up and help us,*
 and save us for the sake of your steadfast love.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Revelation 20:1-4,11-15]:

Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding in
his hand the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain.
He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the
Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years, and
threw him into the pit, and locked and sealed it over
him, so that he would deceive the nations no more, until
the thousand years were ended. After that he must be let
out for a little while.
Then I saw thrones, and those seated on them were given
authority to judge. I also saw the souls of those who had
been beheaded for their testimony to Jesus and for the
word of God. They had not worshipped the beast or its
image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or
their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ
for a thousand years.
Then I saw a great white throne and the one who sat on
it; the earth and the heaven fled from his presence, and
no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, great
and small, standing before the throne, and books were
opened. Also another book was opened, the book of life.
And the dead were judged according to their works, as
recorded in the books. And the sea gave up the dead that
were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead that were in
them, and all were judged according to what they had
done. Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of
fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire; and
anyone whose name was not found written in the book of
life was thrown into the lake of fire.

For another Biblical reading,
Isaiah
34:1-7

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748), 1707,
as altered by John Wesley (1703-1791), 1737.
Tune: Old 100th, Winchester New
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b032.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b032.html

Before Jehovah's awful throne,
ye nations, bow with sacred joy;
know that the Lord is God alone;
he can create, and he destroy.

His sovereign power, without our aid,
made us of clay, and formed us men;
and when like wandering sheep we strayed,
he brought us to his fold again.

We'll crowd thy gates with thankful songs,
high as the heavens our voices raise;
and earth, with her ten thousand tongues,
shall fill thy courts with sounding praise.

Wide as the world is thy command,
vast as eternity thy love;
firm as a rock thy truth must stand,
when rolling years shall cease to move.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Jesus our exalted Lord has been given all authority.
Let us seek his intercession that our prayers may be perfected by his prayer.

Jesus Christ, great high priest, living for ever to intercede for us
pray for your Church, your broken body in the world
We pray especially for the Diocese of Kebbi, Nigeria,
The Rt Revd Edmund Efoyikeye Akanya, Bishop.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, king of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high
pray for the world, and make it subject to your gentle rule
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man, drawing humanity into the life of God
pray for your bothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, pioneer of our salvation,
bringing us to your glory through your death and resurrection
receive into your kingdom those who have died
  trusting in your promises
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Lord of all things,
ascended far above from the heavens and filling the universe
pray for us who receive the gifts you give us
  for work in your service
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ,
keep the Church in the unity of the Spirit
  and in the bond of peace,
and bring the whole created order to worship at your feet;
for you are alive and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

In the darkness of unknowing,
when your love seems absent
and your favour far away,
draw near to us, O God,
through Jesus Christ,
the forsaken one,
the risen one,
our Redeemer and our Lord. Amen.

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

The canticle and the collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer reprinted from
_Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002
Consultation on Common Texts.

The intercession is from material copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council,
2003.

The closing sentence is adapted from _Common Worship: Services and
Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in
this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.