OREMUS: 23 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Nov 22 22:45:58 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Tuesday, November 23, 2004
Clement, Bishop of Rome, Martyr, c.100

Blessed are you, loving God,
for you raised up your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
and seated him at your right hand
as the Shepherd and King
who seeks what is lost,
binds up what is wounded,
and strengthens what is weak.

Blessed be the Lord my rock!*
 who trains my hands to fight and my fingers to battle;
My help and my fortress,
   my stronghold and my deliverer,*
 my shield in whom I trust,
   who subdues the peoples under me.
O Lord, what are we that you should care for us?*
 mere mortals that you should think of us?
We are like a puff of wind;*
 our days are like a passing shadow.
Bow your heavens, O Lord, and come down;*
 touch the mountains and they shall smoke.
Hurl the lightning and scatter them;*
 shoot out your arrows and rout them.
Stretch out your hand from on high;*
 rescue me and deliver me from the great waters,
   from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
O God, I will sing to you a new song;*
 I will play to you on a ten-stringed lyre.
You give victory to kings*
 and have rescued David your servant.
Rescue me from the hurtful sword*
 and deliver me from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
May our sons be like plants
   well nurtured from their youth,*
 and our daughters like sculptured corners of a palace.
May our barns be filled to overflowing*
 with all manner of crops;
May the flocks in our pastures
   increase by thousands and tens of thousands;*
 may our cattle be fat and sleek.
May there be no breaching of the walls,
   no going into exile,*
 no wailing in the public squares.
Happy are the people of whom this is so!*
 happy are the people whose God is the Lord!

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

READING [Revelation 19:11-21]:

Then I saw heaven opened, and there was a white horse!
Its rider is called Faithful and True, and in
righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like
a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems; and he
has a name inscribed that no one knows but himself. He is
clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is called
The Word of God. And the armies of heaven, wearing fine
linen, white and pure, were following him on white
horses. From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to
strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod
of iron; he will tread the wine press of the fury of the
wrath of God the Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh
he has a name inscribed, 'King of kings and Lord of
lords'.
Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and with a loud
voice he called to all the birds that fly in mid-heaven,
'Come, gather for the great supper of God, to eat the
flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of the
mighty, the flesh of horses and their riders flesh of
all, both free and slave, both small and great.' Then I
saw the beast and the kings of the earth with their
armies gathered to make war against the rider on the
horse and against his army. And the beast was captured,
and with it the false prophet who had performed in its
presence the signs by which he deceived those who had
received the mark of the beast and those who worshipped
its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of
fire that burns with sulphur. And the rest were killed by
the sword of the rider on the horse, the sword that came
from his mouth; and all the birds were gorged with their
flesh.

For another Biblical reading,
Isaiah 33:17-22

HYMN
Words: William Walsham How, 1897
Tune: Bishopgarth
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o347.html

O King of kings, whose reign of old
hath been from everlasting,
before whose throne their crowns of gold
the white-robed saints are casting;
while all the shining courts on high
with angel-songs are ringing,
O let thy children venture nigh,
their lowly homage bringing.

For every heart, made glad by thee,
with thankful praise is swelling;
and every tongue, with joy set free,
its happy theme is telling.
Thou hast been mindful of thine own,
and lo! we come confessing--
'tis thou hast dowered our Empire's throne
with countless years of blessing.

Lead on, O Lord, thy people still,
new grace and wisdom giving,
to larger love and purer will,
and nobler heights of living.
And while of all thy love below
they chant the glorious story,
O teach them first thy Christ to know,
and magnify his glory.

In joyful expectation of his coming to our aid
we pray to Jesus, saying,
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your Church as Lord and Judge.
We pray for the Diocese of Katsina, Nigeria,
The Rt Revd James Sekari Kwasu, Bishop...
Help us to live in the light of your coming
and give us a longing for your rule.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your world as King of the nations.
We pray for ...
Before you rulers will stand in silence.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your people with a message of victory and peace.
We pray for ...
Give us the victory over death, temptation and evil.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to us as Saviour and Comforter.
We pray for ...
Break in to those areas of our lives
where we live with failure and distress,
and set us free to serve you for ever.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to us from heaven with power and great glory,
to lift us up to meet you,
with all your saints and angels,
to live with you for ever.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Eternal God,
whose Son struggled against the forces
which enfeeble and enslave your people:
shield us from evil and all deception,
that we may enter your truth
and enjoy the abundance of his risen life;
who with you and the Holy Spirit
is alive and reigns for ever and ever. Amen.

Creator and Father of eternity,
whose martyr Clement bore witness with his blood
to the love he proclaimed and the gospel that he preached:
give us thankful hearts as we celebrate your faithfulness,
revealed to us in the lives of your saints,
and strengthen us in our pilgrimage as we follow your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord,

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

The psalms and the first collect are from _Celebrating Common
Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is
used with permission.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer reprinted from
_Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002
Consultation on Common Texts.

The intercession is from _The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray),
(c) The Central Board of Finance  of the Church of England 1990, 1991,
which is used with permission.

The closing sentence is adapted from _Common Worship: Services and
Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in
this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.