OREMUS: 22 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Nov 21 21:30:25 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Monday, November 22, 2004

Blessed are you, loving God,
for you raised up your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
and seated him at your right hand
as the Shepherd and King
who seeks what is lost,
binds up what is wounded,
and strengthens what is weak.

O Lord God of vengeance,*
 O God of vengeance, show yourself.
Rise up, O Judge of the world;*
 give the arrogant their just deserts.
How long shall the wicked, O Lord,*
 how long shall the wicked triumph?
They bluster in their insolence;*
 all evildoers are full of boasting.
They crush your people, O Lord,*
 and afflict your chosen nation.
They murder the widow and the stranger*
 and put the orphans to death.
Yet they say, 'The Lord does not see,*
 the God of Jacob takes no notice.'
Consider well, you dullards among the people;*
 when will you fools understand?
He that planted the ear, does he not hear?*
 he that formed the eye, does he not see?
He who admonishes the nations, will he not punish?*
 he who teaches all the world, has he no knowledge?
The Lord knows our human thoughts;*
 how like a puff of wind they are.
Happy are they whom you instruct, O Lord!*
 whom you teach out of your law;
To give them rest in evil days,*
 until a pit is dug for the wicked.
For the Lord will not abandon his people,*
 nor will he forsake his own.
For judgement will again be just,*
 and all the true of heart will follow it.
Who rose up for me against the wicked?*
 who took my part against the evildoers?
If the Lord had not come to my help,*
 I should soon have dwelt in the land of silence.
As often as I said, 'My foot has slipped',*
 your love, O Lord, upheld me.
When many cares fill my mind,*
 your consolations cheer my soul.
Can a corrupt tribunal have any part with you,*
 one which frames evil into law?
They conspire against the life of the just*
 and condemn the innocent to death.
But the Lord has become my stronghold,*
 and my God the rock of my trust.
He will turn their wickedness back upon them
   and destroy them in their own malice;*
 the Lord our God will destroy them.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Revelation 19:1-10]:

After this I heard what seemed to be the loud voice of a
great multitude in heaven, saying,
'Hallelujah!
Salvation and glory and power to our God,
    for his judgements are true and just;
he has judged the great whore
   who corrupted the earth with her fornication,
and he has avenged on her the blood of his servants.'
Once more they said,
'Hallelujah!
The smoke goes up from her for ever and ever.'
And the twenty-four elders and the four living creatures
fell down and worshipped God who is seated on the throne,
saying,
'Amen. Hallelujah!'

And from the throne came a voice saying,
'Praise our God,
   all you his servants,
and all who fear him,
   small and great.'
Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great
multitude, like the sound of many waters and like the
sound of mighty thunder-peals, crying out,
'Hallelujah!
For the Lord our God
   the Almighty reigns.
Let us rejoice and exult
   and give him the glory,
for the marriage of the Lamb has come,
   and his bride has made herself ready;
to her it has been granted to be clothed
   with fine linen, bright and pure'
for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints.

And the angel said to me, 'Write this: Blessed are those
who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.' And
he said to me, 'These are true words of God.' Then I fell
down at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, 'You
must not do that! I am a fellow-servant with you and your
comrades who hold the testimony of Jesus. Worship God!
For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.'

For another Biblical reading,
Malachi 4

HYMN
Words: Horatius Bonar, 1855
Tune: Farley Castle, St. Agnes (Langran), Nyack, Peel Castle, Penitentia
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h230.html

Here, O my Lord, I see thee face to face;
here would I touch and handle things unseen;
here grasp with firmer hand eternal grace,
and all my weariness upon thee lean.

This is the hour of banquet and of song;
this is the heavenly table spread for me;
here let me feast, and feasting, still prolong
the hallowed hour of fellowship with thee.

Here would I feed upon the Bread of God,
here drink with thee the royal Wine of heaven;
here would I lay aside each earthly load,
here taste afresh the calm of sin forgiven.

I have no help but thine; nor do I need
another arm save thine to lean upon;
it is enough, my Lord, enough indeed;
my strength is in thy might, thy might alone.

Mine is the sin, but thine the righteousness:
mine is the guilt, but thine the cleansing
here is my robe, my refuge, and my peace;
thy Blood, thy righteousness, O Lord my God!

Feast after feast thus comes and passes by;
yet, passing, points to the glad feast above,
giving sweet foretaste of the festal joy,
the Lamb's great bridal feast of bliss and love.

O God, you are filled with possibility and mystery.
You hold our anxieties and our hopes.

Your faithful forget to praise you, consumed by self-centered busyness,
O God of stillness, come into our hearts.

Your beloved community is baffled and broken,
O God of healing, come into our churches.

We pray especially today for the Diocese of Katanga, Congo,
The Rt Revd Kahwa Henri Isingoma, Bishop.
Your people wander in the streets without a place to lay their head,
O God our resting place, come into our neighborhoods.

Your world is torn apart by war and conflict,
O God of Peace, come into our world.

Night and day, we wait and pray, for you, our Emmanuel. Amen.

O just Judge of all the world,
when the dark power of evil threatens your creation,
may we, through your strength within us, maintain
the sure knowledge of your love and mercy,
which we see in your Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer reprinted from
_Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002
Consultation on Common Texts.

The intercession is by Allison Hajdu-Paulen

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing sentence is adapted from _Common Worship: Services and
Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in
this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.