OREMUS: 21 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 20 17:00:01 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Sunday, November 21, 2004
The Last Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

God is our refuge and strength,*
 a very present help in trouble;
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be moved,*
 and though the mountains be toppled
   into the depths of the sea;
Though its waters rage and foam,*
 and though the mountains tremble at its tumult.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
There is a river whose streams
   make glad the city of God,*
 the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her;
   she shall not be overthrown;*
 God shall help her at the break of day.
The nations make much ado
   and the kingdoms are shaken;*
 God has spoken and the earth shall melt away.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
Come now and look upon the works of the Lord,*
 what awesome things he has done on earth.
It is he who makes war to cease in all the world;*
 he breaks the bow and shatters the spear
   and burns the shields with fire.
'Be still, then, and know that I am God;*
 I will be exalted among the nations;
   I will be exalted in the earth.'
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.

Psalm 95

Come, let us sing to the Lord;*
 let us shout for joy to the rock of our salvation.
Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving*
 and raise a loud shout to him with psalms.
For the Lord is a great God,*
 and a great king above all gods.
In his hand are the depths of the earth,*
 and the heights of the hills are his also.
The sea is his, for he made it,*
 and his hands have moulded the dry land.
Come, let us bow down and bend the knee,*
 and kneel before the Lord our Maker.
For he is our God,
   and we are the people of his pasture
   and the sheep of his hand.*
 O that today you would hearken to his voice!
'Harden not your hearts,
   as your forebears did in the wilderness,*
 at Meribah, and on that day at Massah,
   when they tempted me.
'They put me to the test,*
 though they had seen my works.
'Forty years long I detested that generation and said,*
 "This people are wayward in their hearts;
 they do not know my ways."
'So I swore in my wrath,*
 "They shall not enter into my rest."'

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12:22-24a,28-29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.

We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.

We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.

We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.

We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,

full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [1 Corinthians 15:19-28]:

If for this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of
all people most to be pitied. But in fact Christ has been
raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have
died. For since death came through a human being, the
resurrection of the dead has also come through a human
being; for as all die in Adam, so all will be made alive
in Christ. But each in his own order: Christ the first
fruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ.
Then comes the end, when he hands over the kingdom to God
the Father, after he has destroyed every ruler and every
authority and power. For he must reign until he has put
all his enemies under his feet. The last enemy to be
destroyed is death. For 'God has put all things in
subjection under his feet.' But when it says, 'All things
are put in subjection', it is plain that this does not
include the one who put all things in subjection under
him. When all things are subjected to him, then the Son
himself will also be subjected to the one who put all
things in subjection under him, so that God may be all in
all.

For another Biblical reading,
Deuteronomy 17:14-20

HYMN
Words: Martin Luther, 1529; Trans. Thomas Carlyle, 1831
Tune: Ein' feste Burg
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a042.html

A safe stronghold our God is still,
a trusty shield and weapon;
he'll keep us clear from all the ill
that hath us now o'ertaken.
The ancient prince of hell
hath risen with purpose fell;
strong mail of craft and power
he weareth in this hour;
on earth is not his fellow.

With force of arms we nothing can,
full soon were we down-ridden;
but for us fights the proper Man,
whom God himself hath bidden.
Ask ye, who is this same?
Christ Jesus is his name,
the Lord Sabaoth's Son;
he, and no other one,
shall conquer in the battle.

And were this world all devils o'er,
and watching to devour us,
we lay it not to heart so sore;
nor they can overpower us.
And let the prince of ill
look grim as e'er he will,
he harms us not a whit;
for why?--his doom is writ;
a word shall quickly slay him.

God's word, for all their craft and force,
one moment will not linger,
but, spite of hell, shall have its course;
'tis written by his finger.
And though they take our life,
goods, honor, children, wife,
yet is their profit small;
these things shall vanish all:
the City of God remaineth!

Knowing our God as the Shepherd King,
we turn to prayer for our own needs and those of all people:

You have gathered us into a people to call your own.
May our leaders who shepherd in your name,
bishops, priests, deacons, and lay ministers and leaders,
be gifted with your wisdom and justice.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

The nations long to be guided in the paths of righteousness.
Give politicians and civil servants renewed vision and energy
for their work of preparing and implementing policies
for the welfare of all citizens.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

You have charged us with the care
of the hungry, the stranger, the naked, the sick, the prisoner.
Open our eyes to see you in those without any other hope.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

Help us to remind the sick and the dying
of the glorious hope to which we are called.
Comfort and heal them according to your great wisdom and mercy.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

Prepare us for the day when the Son of Man
comes in glory with all his angels.
May we be ready to welcome him with our lamps burning.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

God is good and God's mercy is everlasting.
In that sure and certain knowledge
we commend ourselves and all for who me pray to that eternal mercy:
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

Almighty and everlasting God,
whose will it is to restore all things
in your well-beloved Son,
the King of kings and Lord of lords:
Mercifully grant that the peoples of the earth,
divided and enslaved by sin,
may be freed and brought together
under his most gracious rule;

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is adapted from one (c) 1999, The Evangelical Lutheran
Church in Canada.

The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer According to the use
of The Episcopal Church_.