OREMUS: 20 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 19 21:33:08 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Saturday, November 20, 2004
Edmund, King of the East Angles, Martyr, 870

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for you have enabled us to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light.
You have rescued us from the power of darkness
and transferred us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created.
He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [John 18:33-37]:

Pilate entered the headquarters again, summoned Jesus,
and asked him, 'Are you the King of the Jews?' Jesus
answered, 'Do you ask this on your own, or did others
tell you about me?' Pilate replied, 'I am not a Jew, am
I? Your own nation and the chief priests have handed you
over to me. What have you done?' Jesus answered, 'My
kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from
this world, my followers would be fighting to keep me
from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my
kingdom is not from here.' Pilate asked him, 'So you are
a king?' Jesus answered, 'You say that I am a king. For
this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to
testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth
listens to my voice.'

For another Biblical reading,
1 Samuel 8:4-20

HYMN
Words: Bernard of Clairvaux, twelfth century;
trans. Edward Caswall, 1849
Tune: King's Norton, St. Botolph, St. Agnes, Dalehurst, Redhead
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o314.html

O Jesus, King most wonderful,
thou Conqueror renowned,
thou sweetness most ineffable,
in whom all joys are found.

When once thou visitest the heart,
then truth begins to shine,
then earthly vanities depart,
then kindles love divine.

O Jesus, Light of all below,
thou Fount of life and fire,
surpassing all the joys we know,
and all we can desire;

May every heart confess thy Name;
thy wondrous love adore,
and seeking thee, their hearts inflame
to seek thee more and more.

Thee, Jesus, may our voices bless,
thee may we love alone;
and ever in our lives express
the image of thine own.

Let us praise Christ our King,
by whose cross we have citizenship in heaven,
saying: Lord, have mercy.

Lord, you built your Church
on the foundation of the apostles:
Lord, have mercy.

You witness to your truth
in the lives of your saints:
Lord, have mercy.

You made us to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God:
Lord, have mercy.

You have shared our burdens
revealing the holiness of our life and work:
Lord, have mercy.

You stir us to seek
the mysteries of the kingdom:
Lord, have mercy.

You lead us
to the eternal assembly of the saints:
Lord, have mercy.

For your Church, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Katakwa, Kenya, The Rt Revd Eliud Odera Okiring, Bishop.
Lord, have mercy.

O God,
bring our nation and all nations
to a sense of justice and equity,
that poverty, oppression, and violence may vanish
and all may know peace and plenty.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Eternal God,
whose servant Edmund kept faith to the end,
both with you and with his people,
and glorified you by his death:
grant us such steadfastness of faith
that, with the noble army of martyrs,
we may come to enjoy the fullness of the resurrection life;

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Awaken us to the power and gifts
you pour into us and make us worthy of your trust,
working abundantly to build your kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Colossians 1:12-17
[NRSV]

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised
Common Texts

When the heathen Anglo-Saxons invaded Christian Britain in the 400's, they
eventually established seven kingdoms: Essex, Wessex, Sussex (East Saxons,
West Saxons, and South Saxons), Mercia, Northumbria, and East Anglia (three
kingdoms of the Angles), and the Jute kingdom of Kent. (The borders between
these ancient kingdoms are still borders between regions speaking English with
different accents today.) Under the influence of missionaries from the Celts and
from continental Europe, these peoples bcame Christian, only to be faced
themselves by a wave of heathen invaders.
Edmund was born about 840, became King of East Anglia in about 855, and in
870 faced a horde of marauding Danes, who moved through the countryside,
burning churches and slaughtering villages wholesale. On reaching East Anglia,
their leaders confronted Edmund and offered him peace on condition that he
would rule as their vassal and forbid the practice of the Christian faith. Edmund
refused this last condition, fought, and was captured. He was ill-treated and
killed. His burial place is the town of Bury St. Edmunds.