OREMUS: 19 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Nov 18 17:00:01 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Friday, November 19, 2004
Hilda, Abbess of Whitby, 680

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for you have enabled us to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light.
You have rescued us from the power of darkness
and transferred us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created.
He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

I waited patiently upon the Lord;*
 he stooped to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the desolate pit,
   out of the mire and clay;*
 he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a song of praise to our God;*
 many shall see and stand in awe
   and put their trust in the Lord.
Happy are they who trust in the Lord!*
 they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God!
   how great your wonders and your plans for us!*
 there is none who can be compared with you.
O that I could make them known and tell them!*
 but they are more than I can count.
In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure*
 you have given me ears to hear you;
Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required,*
 and so I said, 'Behold, I come.
'In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:*
 "I love to do your will, O my God;
 your law is deep in my heart."'
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation;*
 behold, I did not restrain my lips;
 and that, O Lord, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
   I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;*
 I have not concealed your love and faithfulness
   from the great congregation.
You are the Lord;
   do not withhold your compassion from me;*
 let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
   my sins have overtaken me and I cannot see;*
 they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed
   who seek after my life to destroy it;*
 let them draw back and be disgraced
   who take pleasure in my misfortune.
Let those who say 'Aha!' and gloat over me be confounded,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad;*
 let those who love your salvation continually say,
   'Great is the Lord!'
Though I am poor and afflicted,*
 the Lord will have regard for me.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 do not tarry, O my God.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

READING [Revelation 15:1-4]:

Then I saw another portent in heaven, great and amazing:
seven angels with seven plagues, which are the last, for
with them the wrath of God is ended.
And I saw what appeared to be a sea of glass mixed with
fire, and those who had conquered the beast and its image
and the number of its name standing beside the sea of
glass with harps of God in their hands. And they sing the
song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the
Lamb:
'Great and amazing are your deeds,
   Lord God the Almighty!
Just and true are your ways,
   King of the nations!
Lord, who will not fear
   and glorify your name?
For you alone are holy.
   All nations will come
   and worship before you,
for your judgements have been revealed.'

For another Biblical reading,
Malachi 3:1-7

HYMN
Words: Josiah Conder (1789-1855), 1824
Tune: Church Triumphant
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t241.html

The Lord is King! lift up thy voice,
O earth; and all ye heavens, rejoice!
>From world to world the joy shall ring,
The Lord omnipotent is King.

The Lord is King! who then shall dare
resist his will, distrust his care,
or murmur at his wise decrees,
or doubt his royal promises?

The Lord is King! Child of the dust,
the Judge of the all the earth is just;
holy and true are all his ways;
let every creature speak his praise.

He reigns! ye saints, exalt your strains;
your God is King, your Father reigns;
and he is at the Father's side,
the Man of love, the Crucified.

Come, make your wants, your burdens known;
he will present them at the throne;
and angel bands are waiting there
his messages of love to bear.

The Lord is King! lift up thy voice,
O earth; and all ye heavens, rejoice!
>From world to world the joy shall ring,
The Lord omnipotent is King.

In joyful hope, we pray to you, O Lord:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to your Church as Lord and Judge
and give us a longing for your loving rule.
We pray especially for the Diocese of Karnataka South, South India :
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to your world as King of the nations
and let righteousness and peace prevail:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to us as Savior and Comforter,
breaking into our failure and freeing us to serve you:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to us with power and great joy,
that our hearts may be lifted to meet you in joy:
Come, Lord Jesus!

God our Savior,
hear our prayer for all who suffer at the hands of others,
and especially for those who suffer for the sake of justice.
Raise and comfort them,
and lead us all in the paths of loving service.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

O God of peace,
by whose grace the abbess Hilda
was endowed with gifts
of justice, prudence, and strength
to rule as a wise mother
over the nuns and monks of her household,
and to become a trusted and reconciling friend
to leaders of the Church:
Give us grace to recognize and accept
the varied gifts you bestow on women and men,
that our common life may be enriched
and your gracious will be done;

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Awaken us to the power and gifts
you pour into us and make us worthy of your trust,
working abundantly to build your kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Colossians 1:12-17
[NRSV]

The intercession is adapted from a prayer from the Durham Diocesan
Liturgical Commission.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised
Common Texts

Hilda (known in her own century as "Hild") was the grandniece of King Edwin
of Northumbria, a kingdom of the Angles. She was born in 614 and baptized in
627 when the king and his household became Christians. In 647 she decided to
become a nun, and under the direction of Aidan she established several
monasteries. Her last foundation was at Whitby. It was a double house: a
community of men and another of women, with the chapel in between, and
Hilda as the governor of both; and it was a great center of English learning,
one which produced five bishops (during Hilda's lifetime or that of the
Abbey?). Here a stable-boy, Caedmon, was moved to compose religious poems
in the Anglo-Saxon tongue, most of them metrical paraphrases of narratives
from Genesis and the Gospels.
The Celtic peoples of Britain had heard the Gospel well before 300 AD, but in
the 400's and 500's a massive invasion of Germanic peoples (Angles, Jutes, and
Saxons) forced the native Celts out of what is now England and into Wales,
Ireland, and Scotland. The invaders were pagans, and missionaries were sent to
them in the north and west by the Celts, and in the south and east by Rome and
other churches on the continent of Europe.
Roman and Celtic traditions differed, not in doctrine, but on such questions as
the proper way of calculating the date of Easter, and the proper style of haircut
and dress for a monk. It was, in particular, highly desirable that Christians, at
least in the same area, should celebrate Easter at the same time; and it became
clear that the English Church would have to choose between the old Celtic
customs which it had inherited from before 300, and the customs of continental
Europe and in particular of Rome that missionaries from there had brought
with them. In 664 the Synod of Whitby met at that monastery to consider the
matter, and it was decided to follow Roman usage.
Hilda herself greatly preferred the Celtic customs in which she had been reared,
but once the decision had been made she used her moderating influence in
favor of its peaceful acceptance. Her influence was considerable; kings and
commoners alike came to her for advice. She was urgent in promoting the
study of the Scriptures and the thorough education of the clergy. She died 17
November 680.