OREMUS: 18 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Nov 17 19:18:46 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Thursday, November 18, 2004
Elizabeth of Hungary, Princess of Thuringia, Philanthropist, 1231
Eleventh Anniversary of Oremus, First Posting on this Day, 1993

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for you have enabled us to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light.
You have rescued us from the power of darkness
and transferred us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created.
He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
How long will you assail me to crush me,
   all of you together,*
 as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
They seek only to bring me down
   from my place of honour;*
 lies are their chief delight.
They bless with their lips,*
 but in their hearts they curse.
For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honour;*
 God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in him always, O people,*
 pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath,*
 even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
On the scales they are lighter than a breath,*
 all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
   in robbery take no empty pride;*
 though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
God has spoken once, twice have I heard it,*
 that power belongs to God.
Steadfast love is yours, O Lord,*
 for you repay everyone according to his deeds.

Psalm 82

God takes his stand in the council of heaven;*
 he gives judgement in the midst of the gods:
'How long will you judge unjustly,*
 and show favour to the wicked?
'Save the weak and the orphan;*
 defend the humble and needy;
'Rescue the weak and the poor;*
 deliver them from the power of the wicked.
'They do not know, neither do they understand;
   they go about in darkness;*
 all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
'Now I say to you, "You are gods,*
 and all of you children of the Most High;
'"Nevertheless, you shall die like mortals,*
 and fall like any prince."'
Arise, O God, and rule the earth,*
 for you shall take all nations for your own.

A Song of the Holy City (Revelation 21:1-5a)

I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away
and the sea was no more.

And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice from the throne saying,
'Behold, my dwelling is with my people.

'I will dwell with them and they shall be mine,
and I myself will be with them.

'I will wipe away every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more.

'Neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain any more,
for the former things have passed away.'

And the One who sat upon the throne said,
'Behold, I make all things new.'

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Revelation 14:14-20]:

Then I looked, and there was a white cloud, and seated on
the cloud was one like the Son of Man, with a golden
crown on his head, and a sharp sickle in his hand!
Another angel came out of the temple, calling with a loud
voice to the one who sat on the cloud, 'Use your sickle
and reap, for the hour to reap has come, because the
harvest of the earth is fully ripe.' So the one who sat
on the cloud swung his sickle over the earth, and the
earth was reaped.
Then another angel came out of the temple in heaven, and
he too had a sharp sickle. Then another angel came out
from the altar, the angel who has authority over fire,
and he called with a loud voice to him who had the sharp
sickle, 'Use your sharp sickle and gather the clusters of
the vine of the earth, for its grapes are ripe.' So the
angel swung his sickle over the earth and gathered the
vintage of the earth, and he threw it into the great wine
press of the wrath of God. And the wine press was trodden
outside the city, and blood flowed from the wine press,
as high as a horse's bridle, for a distance of about two
hundred miles.

For another Biblical reading,
Malachi 2:10-17

HYMN
Words: Refrain: George William Kitchin, 1916
Words, verses 1-5: Shirley Erena Murray, alt. (c)
Tune: Crucifer
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l119.html

Refrain:
Lift high the cross,
the love of Christ proclaim
till all the world adore
his sacred Name.

Come, Christian people, sing your praises, shout!
If we are silent, even stones cry out. Refrain

Jesus, you wept to see our human strife,
teach us compassion for each human life. Refrain

Peace was your plea and peace your loving theme:
let peace be our passport, peace a living dream. Refrain

Great is the cost of walking on this road,
to follow and suffer with the Son of God. Refrain

Worlds to be born and children yet to be,
come, take up this song into eternity. Refrain

O Lord, answer us in the day of trouble,
Send us help from your holy place.

Show us the path of life,
For in your presence is joy.

Give justice to the orphan and oppressed
And break the power of wickedness and evil.

Look upon the hungry and sorrowful
And grant them the help for which they long.

Let the heavens rejoice and the earth be glad;
May your glory endure for ever.

Your kingship has dominion over all
And with you is our redemption.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of Karnataka Central,
South India, The Rt Revd Vasanthakumar Suputhrappa, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Karnataka North, South India,
The Rt Revd Dr Paul Sadananda John Kattennur Balmi, Bishop.
Lord, have mercy.

Strength of the weak,
Defender of the needy,
Rescuer of the poor,
deliver us from the power of wickedness,
that we may rejoice in your justice now and for ever,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Lord God,
who taught Elizabeth of Hungary
to recognize and reverence Christ
in the poor of this world:
by her example
strengthen us to love and serve
the afflicted and the needy
and so to honour your Son, the servant king,

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Awaken us to the power and gifts
you pour into us and make us worthy of your trust,
working abundantly to build your kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Colossians 1:12-17
[NRSV]

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised
Common Texts

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

Hymn (c) 1992 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK,
contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
In the UK, contact:  Hymns Ancient & Modern Ltd., St. Mary's Works,
St. Mary's Plain, Norwich, Norfolk  NR3 3BH  England

The numerous "St. Elizabeth's Hospitals" throughout the world are for the
most part named, not for the Biblical Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist,
but for this princess of Hungary. She was concerned for the relief of the poor
and the sick, and with her husband's consent she used her dowry money for
their relief. During a famine and epidemic in 1226, while her husband was away
in Italy, she sold her jewels and established a hospital where she nursed the
sick, and opened the royal granaries to feed the hungry. After her husband's
death in 1227, her inlaws, who opposed her "extravagances," expelled her from
Wartburg. Finally an arrangement was negotiated with them that gave her a
stipend. She became a Franciscan tertiary (lay associate) and devoted the
remainder of her life to nursing and charity. She sewed garments to clothe the
poor, and went fishing to feed them.

Oremus was first devised in November 1993, as a response to a question on
the ANGLICAN email list about how individuals might keep the forthcoming
Advent more effectively.
The intention was and is to make available a form of the "Daily Office",
traditional in format, sufficiently brief and relevant to be used by as many
readers as possible, and not duplicating any other form likely to be already
used by members.
Steve Benner undertook to create the Office and to post it each day, and he did
this for nearly two years, from its first appearance on Thursday, 18 November
1993, until 13 September 1995. For the next fifteen months, Simon Kershaw
compiled the Office, and from 1996-January 1998, Steve Benner and Simon
Kershaw alternated responsibility for the compilation of the Office. Steve has
continued to produce the daily office since January 1998; Simon has since
become responsible for programming the feed for Common Worship - Daily
Prayer (see link on our site).
Oremus serves to nourish each of us in our daily prayer and bible reading; to
introduce more people to the tradition of the Daily Office; to strengthen the
sense of community of the group by the knowledge that our fellow members
are using the same form of prayer, and by our prayers for one another; to
strengthen our Anglican identity in our prayers for the Anglican Communion;
and to greaten our Christian love in our prayers for our fellow Christians and
for all people. [from our FAQ]