OREMUS: 17 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 16 17:00:02 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Wednesday, November 17, 2004
Hugh, Bishop of Lincoln, 1200

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for you have enabled us to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light.
You have rescued us from the power of darkness
and transferred us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created.
He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

O Lord, I call to you;
   my rock, do not be deaf to my cry;*
 lest, if you do not hear me,
   I become like those who go down to the Pit.
Hear the voice of my prayer when I cry out to you,*
 when I lift up my hands to your holy of holies.
Do not snatch me away with the wicked
   or with the evildoers,*
 who speak peaceably with their neighbours,
   while strife is in their hearts.
Repay them according to their deeds,*
 and according to the wickedness of their actions.
According to the work of their hands repay them,*
 and give them their just deserts.
They have no understanding of the Lord's doings,
   nor of the works of his hands;*
 therefore he will break them down
   and not build them up.
Blessed is the Lord!*
 for he has heard the voice of my prayer.
The Lord is my strength and my shield;*
 my heart trusts in him and I have been helped;
Therefore my heart dances for joy,*
 and in my song will I praise him.
The Lord is the strength of his people,*
 a safe refuge for his anointed.
Save your people and bless your inheritance;*
 shepherd them and carry them for ever.

Psalm 76

In Judah is God known;*
 his name is great in Israel.
At Salem is his tabernacle,*
 and his dwelling is in Zion.
There he broke the flashing arrows,*
 the shield, the sword and the weapons of battle.
How glorious you are!*
 more splendid than the everlasting mountains!
The strong of heart have been despoiled;
   they sink into sleep;*
 none of the warriors can lift a hand.
At your rebuke, O God of Jacob,*
 both horse and rider lie stunned.
What terror you inspire!*
 who can stand before you when you are angry?
>From heaven you pronounced judgement;*
 the earth was afraid and was still;
When God rose up to judgement*
 and to save all the oppressed of the earth.
Truly, wrathful Edom will give you thanks,*
 and the remnant of Hamath will keep your feasts.
Make a vow to the Lord your God and keep it;*
 let all around him bring gifts
   to him who is worthy to be feared.
He breaks the spirit of princes,*
 and strikes terror in the kings of the earth.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Revelation 14:1-13]:

Then I looked, and there was the Lamb, standing on Mount
Zion! And with him were one hundred and forty-four
thousand who had his name and his Father's name written
on their foreheads. And I heard a voice from heaven like
the sound of many waters and like the sound of loud
thunder; the voice I heard was like the sound of harpists
playing on their harps, and they sing a new song before
the throne and before the four living creatures and
before the elders. No one could learn that song except
the one hundred forty-four thousand who have been
redeemed from the earth. It is these who have not defiled
themselves with women, for they are virgins; these follow
the Lamb wherever he goes. They have been redeemed from
humankind as first fruits for God and the Lamb, and in
their mouth no lie was found; they are blameless.
Then I saw another angel flying in mid-heaven, with an
eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the
earth to every nation and tribe and language and people.
He said in a loud voice, 'Fear God and give him glory,
for the hour of his judgement has come; and worship him
who made heaven and earth, the sea and the springs of
water.'
Then another angel, a second, followed, saying, 'Fallen,
fallen is Babylon the great! She has made all nations
drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.'
Then another angel, a third, followed them, crying with a
loud voice, 'Those who worship the beast and its image,
and receive a mark on their foreheads or on their hands,
they will also drink the wine of God's wrath, poured
unmixed into the cup of his anger, and they will be
tormented with fire and sulphur in the presence of the
holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the
smoke of their torment goes up for ever and ever. There
is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast
and its image and for anyone who receives the mark of its
name.'
Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who
keep the commandments of God and hold fast to the faith
of Jesus.
And I heard a voice from heaven saying, 'Write this:
Blessed are the dead who from now on die in the Lord.'
'Yes,' says the Spirit, 'they will rest from their
labours, for their deeds follow them.'

For another Biblical reading,
Malachi 2:1-9

HYMN
Words: James George Deck, 1842
Tune: Meirionydd, St. Christopher
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o354.html

O Lamb of God! still keep me
near to thy wounded side;
'tis only there in safety
and peace I can abide.
What foes and snares surround me!
What lusts and fears within!
The grace that sought and found me
alone can keep me clean.

'Tis only in thee hiding,
I know my life secure;
only in thee abiding,
the conflict can endure:
thine arm the victory gaineth
o'er every hurtful foe;
thy love my heart sustaineth
in all its cares and woes.

Soon shall my eyes behold thee
with rapture, face to face;
one half hath not been told me
of all thy power and grace:
thy beauty, Lord, and glory,
the wonders of thy love,
shall be the endless story
of all thy saints above.

>From the rising of the sun to its setting,
let us pray to the Lord.

That the people of God in all the world
may worship in spirit and in truth,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That the Church may discover again that unity which is your gift,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

For your Church in every place, especially the Diocese of
Karimnagar, South India, The Rt Revd Sanki John Theodore, Bishop.
Lord, have mercy.

That the nations of the earth
may seek after the ways that make for peace,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That the whole creation, groaning in travail,
may be set free to enjoy the glorious liberty
of the children of God,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That all who with Christ have entered the shadow of death
may find the fulfilment of life and peace,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

With all the saints in light,
let us offer eternal praise to the Lord made manifest:

Majestic and gracious God,
more awesome than the agents of war,
more powerful than the wrath of nations,
your love has created a people of your own;
restrain the violence of the peoples
and draw the despised of the earth
into the joyful life of your kingdom. Amen.

O God,
who endowed your servant Hugh
with a wise and cheerful boldness
and taught him to commend to earthly rulers
the discipline of a holy life:
give us grace like him to be bold in the service of the gospel,
putting our confidence in Christ alone,

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Awaken us to the power and gifts
you pour into us and make us worthy of your trust,
working abundantly to build your kingdom. Amen.

The psalms, intercession and first collect are from _Celebrating Common
Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is
used with permission.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Colossians 1:12-17
[NRSV]

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised
Common Texts

As a sign of his remorse for his role in the murder of the Archbishop Thomas a
Becket, King Henry II founded the first house in England of the strict monastic
order called the Carthusians. Difficulties arose with the first two priors, and a
French noble recommended Hugh de Avalon, who at that time had been a
monk at the mother house of the order for 17 years.
On his arrival in England in 1176, Hugh found that the building of the
monastery had not begun. Worse, no compensation had been paid to those
who would have to lose their lands and property to make room for it. Hugh
refused to take office until these persons had been paid "to the last penny." He
intervened again on behalf of the builders, whose pay was not forthcoming.
Henry loved him for his plain speaking. "I do not despair of you," Hugh said to
him at their first interview; "I know how much your many occupations interfere
with the health of your soul." Henry, impressed by his frankness, swore that
while he lived he should not leave his kingdom, and took so much pleasure in
his conversation, and paid so much heed to his counsels, that a rumor arose
that Hugh was his son. Hugh's biographer wrote that "of all men only Hugh
could bend that rhinosceros to his will." When Henry was in danger of
shipwreck, he cried out, "If only my Carthusian Hugh were awake and at
prayer, God would not forget me."
This affection never diminished, though Hugh dared to oppose the king,
particularly in the matter of keeping bishoprics vacant in order that their
revenues might fall to the king's treasury. One of the worst examples was
Lincoln, which, except for a few months, had been without a bishop for
eighteen years. Hugh was elected to the post in 1186, and his monastic
superiors ordered him to accept. After so long a period of neglect, there was
great need of reform. Hugh employed priests of great piety and learning, and
made the fullest use of his authority in disciplining his clergy. He took a stern
view of the ill-treatment of the poor by the royal foresters, and when a subject
of the church of Lincoln suffered at their hands he excommunicated their chief.
He also refused to appoint a royal favorite to a meaningless but lucrative
post. Henry was furious, and summoned him to his presence. He came, and
Henry turned away his face and would not speak, but by way of ignoring his
presence took out a torn glove and began to sew it. At last Hugh said, "How
like you are to your relations at Falaise." The king might have resented this
allusion to the humble birth of William the Conqueror's mother, the daughter of
a glove-maker, but he only laughed, and the quarrel was made up.
Riots against the Jews broke out in England at the time of the Third Crusade.
In defence of the persecuted, Hugh faced armed mobs in Lincoln, Stamford
and Northampton and compelled their submission.
Hugh refused to raise money for the foreign wars of King Richard the
Lion-Heart, calmed the king's rage with a kiss, and persisted in his refusal: this
was the first clear example on record of the refusal of a money-grant demanded
directly by the crown, and an important legal precedent. Richard said, "If all
bishops were like my lord of Lincoln, not a prince among us could raise his
head against them."
His relations with King John were less happy. John showed him an amulet,
which he said was sacred and would preserve him. Hugh replied, "Do not put
your trust in lifeless stone, but only in the living and heavenly stone, our Lord
Jesus Christ." The following Easter he preached at length on the duties of
kings, and the king slipped out partway through.
Devout, tireless, and forgetful of self, Hugh also had wit, a temper that he
described as "more biting than pepper," and a great love and concern for
children and the defenceless. He visited leper-houses and washed the ulcerous
limbs of their inmates.
He was fond of animals, and they of him. Birds and squirrels came readily to
his hand. He had a swan that would feed from his hand, follow him about, and
keep guard over his bed, so that no one could approach it without being
attacked.
In 1200 the king sent him on an embassy to France. His mission was a success,
but he took ill and returned to England to die on 16 November 1200. John
Ruskin called him "the most beautiful sacerdotal (priestly) figure known to me
in history."