OREMUS: 15 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Nov 14 21:15:28 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Monday, November 15, 2004
Samuel Seabury, First Anglican Bishop in the United States, 1796

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for you have enabled us to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light.
You have rescued us from the power of darkness
and transferred us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created.
He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

Be pleased, O God, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let those who seek my life
   be ashamed and altogether dismayed;*
 let those who take pleasure in my misfortune
   draw back and be disgraced.
Let those who say to me 'Aha!'
   and gloat over me turn back,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;*
 let those who love your salvation say for ever,
   'Great is the Lord!'
But as for me, I am poor and needy;*
 come to me speedily, O God.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 O Lord, do not tarry.

Psalm 75

We give you thanks, O God, we give you thanks,*
 calling upon your name
   and declaring all your wonderful deeds.
'I will appoint a time,' says God;*
 'I will judge with equity.
'Though the earth and all its inhabitants are quaking,*
 I will make its pillars fast.
'I will say to the boasters, "Boast no more",*
 and to the wicked, "Do not toss your horns;
'"Do not toss your horns so high,*
 nor speak with a proud neck."'
For judgement is neither from the east
   nor from the west,*
 nor yet from the wilderness or the mountains.
It is God who judges;*
 he puts down one and lifts up another.
For in the Lord's hand there is a cup,
   full of spiced and foaming wine, which he pours out,*
 and all the wicked of the earth
   shall drink and drain the dregs.
But I will rejoice for ever;*
 I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
He shall break off all the horns of the wicked;*
 but the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Revelation 11:15-12:6]:

Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were
loud voices in heaven, saying, 'The kingdom of the world
has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Messiah,
and he will reign for ever and ever.'
Then the twenty-four elders who sit on their thrones
before God fell on their faces and worshipped God,
singing,
'We give you thanks, Lord God Almighty,
   who are and who were,
for you have taken your great power
   and begun to reign.
The nations raged,
   but your wrath has come,
   and the time for judging the dead,
for rewarding your servants, the prophets
   and saints and all who fear your name,
   both small and great,
and for destroying those who destroy the earth.'

Then God's temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of
his covenant was seen within his temple; and there were
flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder, an
earthquake, and heavy hail.
A great portent appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with
the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a
crown of twelve stars. She was pregnant and was crying
out in birth pangs, in the agony of giving birth. Then
another portent appeared in heaven: a great red dragon,
with seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems on his
heads. His tail swept down a third of the stars of heaven
and threw them to the earth. Then the dragon stood before
the woman who was about to bear a child, so that he might
devour her child as soon as it was born. And she gave
birth to a son, a male child, who is to rule all the
nations with a rod of iron. But her child was snatched
away and taken to God and to his throne; and the woman
fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared
by God, so that there she can be nourished for one
thousand two hundred and sixty days.

For another Biblical reading,
Malachi 1:1-5

HYMN
Words: Denis Wortman, 1884, alt.
Tune: Toulon
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g242.html

God of the prophets! Bless the prophets' sons,
Elijah's mantle o'er Elisha cast;
each age its solemn task may claim but once;
make each one nobler, stronger, than the last.

Anoint them prophets! Make their ears attend
to thy divinest speech; their hearts awake
to human need; their lips make eloquent
to gird the right and every evil break.

Anoint them priests! Strong intercessors, they
for pardon and for charity and peace.
Ah, if with them the world might, now astray,
find in our Lord from all its woes release!

Anoint them kings; aye, kingly kings, O Lord.
Anoint them with the Spirit of thy Son.
Theirs not a jeweled crown, a blood stained sword;
theirs, by sweet love, for Christ a kingdom won.

Make them apostles, heralds of thy cross,
forth may they go to tell all realms thy grace;
inspired of thee, may they count all but loss,
and stand at last with joy before thy face.

O God, Creator of all that is and is to be,
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

O God the Son, restorer of all creation
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

O God the Spirit, ground of all holiness,
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

O Holy, Blessed and Glorious Trinity,
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Uphold and govern the Churches of the Anglican Communion;
direct them into love and truth;
and grant them that unity which is your will.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Give us such a sense of your love,
and such a vision of your purpose for all creation
that we may receive new understanding of your mercy
and, resisting schism, boldly proclaim the gospel.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Enlighten Rowan, 104th Archbishop of Canterbury,
and all the bishops of the Church,
with your special grace;
grant to them wisdom, knowledge and understanding;
empower them with such gifts of reconciliation and love
that, embracing difference and diversity,
our church may joyfully proclaim your word.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Give us discerning and receptive minds;
where there is anger, grant reconciliation;
where there is prejudice, grant openness;
where there is fearfulness, give serenity;
where there is ambition, give humility.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Endow us with clarity of thought,
generosity of mind, and charity of speech;
grant us gifts of patience and forbearance;
may we delight in the truth
and be surprised by the Spirit.
In this time of our need,
Hear us, good Lord.

Bring into the way of truth all who have erred
and are deceived.
Hear us, good Lord.

Strengthen those who stand;
comfort and help the faint-hearted;
raise up the fallen;
and finally beat down all the powers of darkness.
Holy God,
Holy and strong,
Holy and immortal,
Have mercy upon us.

Heavenly Father,
you have called us
in the Body of your Son Jesus Christ
to continue his work of reconciliation
and reveal you to humankind.
Forgive us the sins that tear us apart;
give us the courage to overcome our fears
and to seek that unity
which is your gift and your will;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Eternal God,
who blessed your servant Samuel Seabury
with the gift of perseverance
to renew the Anglican inheritance
in the churches of North America:
grant us unity in faith, steadfastness in hope,
and constancy in love,
that we may ever be true members
of the body of your Son Jesus Christ,
who is alive and reigns with you

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Awaken us to the power and gifts
you pour into us and make us worthy of your trust,
working abundantly to build your kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Colossians 1:12-17
[NRSV]

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised
Common Texts

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by The Revd Dr Trevor James, Vicar
of St Mary's Anglican Church, Hawera, New Zealand, drawing on traditional
models to create a litany for the Primates' Conference
The second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General
Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

A crucial date for members of the Episcopal Church in the United States of
America is the consecration of the first Bishop of the Anglican Communion in
the United States, marking the beginnings of provincial autonomy. During the
colonial era, there had been no Anglican bishops in the New World; and
persons seeking to be ordained as clergy had had to travel to England for the
purpose. After the achievement of American independence, it was important
for the Church in the United States to have its own bishops, and an assembly of
Connecticut clergy chose Samuel Seabury to go to England and there seek to
be consecrated as a bishop.
However, the English bishops were forbidden by law to consecrate anyone
who would not take an oath of allegiance to the British Crown. He accordingly
turned to the Episcopal Church of Scotland. When the Roman Catholic king
James II was deposed in 1688, some of the Anglican clergy (including some
who had been imprisoned by James for defying him on religious issues) said
that, having sworn allegiance to James as King, they could not during his
lifetime swear allegiance to the new monarchs William and Mary. Those who
took this position were known as non-Jurors (non-swearers), and they included
almost all the bishops and clergy of the Episcopal Church in Scotland.
Accordingly, the monarchs and Parliament declared that thenceforth the official
church in Scotland should be the Presbyterian Church. The Episcopal Church
of Scotland thereafter had no recognition by the government, and for some
time operated under serious legal disablities. However, since it had no
connection with the government, it was free to consecrate Seabury without
government permission, and it did. This is why you see a Cross of St. Andrew
on the Episcopal Church flag.
In Aberdeen, 14 November 1784, Samuel Seabury was consecrated to the
Episcopate by the Bishop and the Bishop Coadjutor of Aberdeen and the
Bishop of Ross and Caithness. He thus became part of the unbroken chain of
bishops that links the Church today with the Church of the Apostles.
In return, he promised them that he would do his best to persuade the
American Church to use as its Prayer of Consecration (blessing of the bread
and wine at the Lord's Supper) the Scottish prayer, taken largely unchanged
from the 1549 Prayer Book, rather than the much shorter one in use in
England. The aforesaid prayer, adopted by the American Church with a few
modifications, has been widely regarded as one of the greatest treasures of the
Church in this country. [James Kiefer]