OREMUS: 13 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 12 21:30:27 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Saturday, November 13, 2004
Charles Simeon, Pastor, Evangelical Divine, 1836

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
 the Lord has put on his apparel
   and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
 that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
   your throne has been established;*
 you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
   the waters have lifted up their voice;*
 the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
 mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
 and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
   for ever and for evermore.

Psalm 97

The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice;*
 let the multitude of the isles be glad.
Clouds and darkness are round about him,*
 righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of his throne.
A fire goes before him*
 and burns up his enemies on every side.
His lightnings light up the world;*
 the earth sees it and is afraid.
The mountains melt like wax
   at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness,*
 and all the peoples see his glory.
Confounded be all who worship carved images
   and delight in false gods!*
 Bow down before him, all you gods.
Zion hears and is glad and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements, O Lord.
For you are the Lord: most high over all the earth;*
 you are exalted far above all gods.
The Lord loves those who hate evil;*
 he preserves the lives of his saints
   and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.
Light has sprung up for the righteous,*
 and joyful gladness for those who are true-hearted.
Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous,*
 and give thanks to his holy name.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Daniel 6]:

It pleased Darius to set over the kingdom one hundred and
twenty satraps, stationed throughout the whole kingdom,
and over them three presidents, including Daniel; to
these the satraps gave account, so that the king might
suffer no loss. Soon Daniel distinguished himself above
all the other presidents and satraps because an excellent
spirit was in him, and the king planned to appoint him
over the whole kingdom. So the presidents and the satraps
tried to find grounds for complaint against Daniel in
connection with the kingdom. But they could find no
grounds for complaint or any corruption, because he was
faithful, and no negligence or corruption could be found
in him. The men said, 'We shall not find any ground for
complaint against this Daniel unless we find it in
connection with the law of his God.'
So the presidents and satraps conspired and came to the
king and said to him, 'O King Darius, live for ever! All
the presidents of the kingdom, the prefects and the
satraps, the counsellors and the governors, are agreed
that the king should establish an ordinance and enforce
an interdict, that whoever prays to anyone, divine or
human, for thirty days, except to you, O king, shall be
thrown into a den of lions. Now, O king, establish the
interdict and sign the document, so that it cannot be
changed, according to the law of the Medes and the
Persians, which cannot be revoked.' Therefore King Darius
signed the document and interdict.
Although Daniel knew that the document had been signed,
he continued to go to his house, which had windows in its
upper room open towards Jerusalem, and to get down on his
knees three times a day to pray to his God and praise
him, just as he had done previously. The conspirators
came and found Daniel praying and seeking mercy before
his God. Then they approached the king and said
concerning the interdict, 'O king! Did you not sign an
interdict, that anyone who prays to anyone, divine or
human, within thirty days except to you, O king, shall be
thrown into a den of lions?' The king answered, 'The
thing stands fast, according to the law of the Medes and
Persians, which cannot be revoked.' Then they responded
to the king, 'Daniel, one of the exiles from Judah, pays
no attention to you, O king, or to the interdict you have
signed, but he is saying his prayers three times a day.'
When the king heard the charge, he was very much
distressed. He was determined to save Daniel, and until
the sun went down he made every effort to rescue him.
Then the conspirators came to the king and said to him,
'Know, O king, that it is a law of the Medes and Persians
that no interdict or ordinance that the king establishes
can be changed.'
Then the king gave the command, and Daniel was brought
and thrown into the den of lions. The king said to
Daniel, 'May your God, whom you faithfully serve, deliver
you!' A stone was brought and laid on the mouth of the
den, and the king sealed it with his own signet and with
the signet of his lords, so that nothing might be changed
concerning Daniel. Then the king went to his palace and
spent the night fasting; no food was brought to him, and
sleep fled from him.
Then, at break of day, the king got up and hurried to the
den of lions. When he came near the den where Daniel was,
he cried out anxiously to Daniel, 'O Daniel, servant of
the living God, has your God whom you faithfully serve
been able to deliver you from the lions?' Daniel then
said to the king, 'O king, live for ever! My God sent his
angel and shut the lions' mouths so that they would not
hurt me, because I was found blameless before him; and
also before you, O king, I have done no wrong.' Then the
king was exceedingly glad and commanded that Daniel be
taken up out of the den. So Daniel was taken up out of
the den, and no kind of harm was found on him, because he
had trusted in his God. The king gave a command, and
those who had accused Daniel were brought and thrown into
the den of lions they, their children, and their wives.
Before they reached the bottom of the den the lions
overpowered them and broke all their bones in pieces.
Then King Darius wrote to all peoples and nations of
every language throughout the whole world: 'May you have
abundant prosperity! I make a decree, that in all my
royal dominion people should tremble and fear before the
God of Daniel:
For he is the living God,
   enduring for ever.
His kingdom shall never be destroyed,
   and his dominion has no end.
He delivers and rescues,
   he works signs and wonders in heaven and on earth;
for he has saved Daniel
   from the power of the lions.'
So this Daniel prospered during the reign of Darius and
the reign of Cyrus the Persian.

For another Biblical reading,
Matthew 13:1-9,18-23

HYMN
Words: Robert Seymour Bridges, 1899
Tune: Spetisbury
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a146.html

All praise be to God,
whom all things obey,
from angels and men
for ever and ay;
who sendeth on earth
the powers of his throne,
his providence good
and love to make known.

His angels are they
of countenance fair,
the arm of his strength,
his hand of kind care;
his message of peace
to us they reveal,
his wisdom most high
they seal or unseal.

By martyrs of old
they stood in the flame,
and bade them not flinch,
but call on God's name.
Through torment, through shame,
through darkness of death,
they led without fear
the sires of our faith.

They stand with the few,
they fight for the free,
God's reign to advance
o'er land and o'er sea;
and when the brave die
or fall in the fight,
their spirits they bear
to rest in God's sight.

For patience and toil
a crown they prepare;
they found for the meek
a kingdom full fair;
no famine nor plague
'gainst them doth prevail;
their bread cannot lack,
their cruse cannot fail.

We pray thee, who art
thy angels' reward,
thy flock to defend
forget not, O Lord;
but prosper their aid,
that us they may bring
to see the true face
of Jesus, our King.

Praise God who made heaven and earth,
who keeps his promise for ever.

Lord of the heavens,
we bless your name for all your servants
who have been a sign of your grace through the ages.
Hope of the saints,
make known your glory.

You delivered Noah from the waters of destruction;
you divided the waters of the sea,
and by the hand of Moses
you led your people from slavery
into the Promised Land.
Hope of the saints,
make known your glory.

You made a new covenant in the blood of your Son,
that all who confess his name
may, by the Holy Spirit,
enter the covenant of grace,
receive a pledge of the kingdom of heaven,
and share in the divine nature.
Hope of the saints,
make known your glory.

As the apostles and prophets, the confessors and martyrs,
faithfully served you in their generation,
may we be built into an eternal dwelling for you,
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
to whom with you and the Holy Spirit
be honour and glory, now and for ever.  Amen.
Hope of the saints,
make known your glory.

Almighty God,
your whole creation declares your glory.
May we perceive you in all your works
and live in the light of your righteousness,
through him who is the light of the world,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Eternal God,
who raised up Charles Simeon
to preach the good news of Jesus Christ
and inspire your people in service and mission:
grant that we with all your Church may worship the Saviour,
turn in sorrow from our sins and walk in the way of holiness;

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The intercession and the second collect are from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Two hundred years ago, students at the English Universities were required to
attend church regularly, and to receive the Holy Communion at least once a
year. This latter requirement often had bad effects, in that it encouraged
hypocrisy and an irreverent reception of the sacrament. Occasionally, however,
it had a very good effect, as with the Cambridge student Charles Simeon. He
wrote:
"On 29 January 1779 I came to college. On 2 February I understood that at
division of term I must attend the Lord's Supper. The Provost absolutely
required it. Conscience told me that, if I must go, I must repent and turn to
God."
By this experience his life was transformed. Upon finishing his college work he
was ordained, and shortly appointed chaplain of Holy Trinity, Cambridge,
where he remained for 55 years, until shortly before his death on 12 November
1836. His ministry helped to transform the lives of many undergraduates, of
whom we may mention two in particular. Henry Martyn, inspired by Simeon,
abandoned his intention of going into law and instead devoted his life and his
considerable talents to preaching the Gospel in India and Persia. William
Wilberforce, also led in part by Simeon's ministry of teaching and example,
devoted his life to the abolition of slavery throughout the British Empire.
Simeon's enthusiasm and zeal brought him much ridicule and abuse, which he
bore uncomplainingly. Though he himself remained in one place, his influence
extended through the Anglican world. [James Kiefer]