OREMUS: 10 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 9 17:00:01 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Leo the Great, Bishop of Rome, Teacher of the Faith, 461

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

I will cry aloud to God;*
 I will cry aloud and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;*
 my hands were stretched out by night and did not tire;
   I refused to be comforted.
I think of God, I am restless,*
 I ponder and my spirit faints.
You will not let my eyelids close;*
 I am troubled and I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old;*
 I remember the years long past;
I commune with my heart in the night;*
 I ponder and search my mind.
Will the Lord cast me off for ever?*
 will he no more show his favour?
Has his loving-kindness come to an end for ever?*
 has his promise failed for evermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?*
 has he, in his anger, withheld his compassion?
And I said, 'My grief is this:*
 the right hand of the Most High has lost its power.'
I will remember the works of the Lord,*
 and call to mind your wonders of old time.
I will meditate on all your acts*
 and ponder your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;*
 who is so great a god as our God?
You are the God who works wonders*
 and have declared your power among the peoples.
By your strength you have redeemed your people,*
 the children of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God;
   the waters saw you and trembled;*
 the very depths were shaken.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;*
 your arrows flashed to and fro;
The sound of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world;*
 the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea,
   and your paths in the great waters,*
 yet your footsteps were not seen.
You led your people like a flock*
 by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Zechariah 2]:

I looked up and saw a man with a measuring line in his
hand. Then I asked, 'Where are you going?' He answered
me, 'To measure Jerusalem, to see what is its width and
what is its length.' Then the angel who talked with me
came forward, and another angel came forward to meet him,
and said to him, 'Run, say to that young man: Jerusalem
shall be inhabited like villages without walls, because
of the multitude of people and animals in it. For I will
be a wall of fire all round it, says the LORD, and I will
be the glory within it.'
Up, up! Flee from the land of the north, says the LORD;
for I have spread you abroad like the four winds of
heaven, says the LORD. Up! Escape to Zion, you that live
with daughter Babylon. For thus said the LORD of hosts
(after his glory sent me) regarding the nations that
plundered you: Truly, one who touches you touches the
apple of my eye. See now, I am going to raise my hand
against them, and they shall become plunder for their own
slaves. Then you will know that the LORD of hosts has
sent me. Sing and rejoice, O daughter Zion! For lo, I
will come and dwell in your midst, says the LORD. Many
nations shall join themselves to the LORD on that day,
and shall be my people; and I will dwell in your midst.
And you shall know that the LORD of hosts has sent me to
you. The LORD will inherit Judah as his portion in the
holy land, and will again choose Jerusalem.
Be silent, all people, before the LORD; for he has roused
himself from his holy dwelling.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 21:25-28

HYMN
Words: Samuel Crossman, 1664
Tune: Christchurch
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j010.html

Jerusalem on high
my song and city is,
my home whene'er I die,
the center of my bliss;
Refrain:
O happy place!
When shall I be,
my God, with thee,
to see thy face?

There dwells my Lord, my King,
judged here unfit to live
there angels to him sing,
and lowly homage give: Refrain

The patriarchs of old
there from their travels cease;
the prophets there behold
their longed-for Prince of Peace. Refrain

The Lamb's apostles there
I might with joy behold,
the harpers I might hear
harping on harps of gold: Refrain

The bleeding martyrs, they
within those courts are found,
all clothed in pure array,
their scars with glory crowned: Refrain

Ah woe is me! that I
in Kedar's tents here stay;
no place like that on high;
Lord, thither guide my way. Refrain

Jesus our exalted Lord has been given all authority.
Let us seek his intercession that our prayers may be perfected by his prayer.

Jesus Christ, great high priest, living for ever to intercede for us
pray for your Church, your broken body in the world
We pray especially for the Diocese of
Kansas, USA, The Rt Revd Dean Elliott Wolfe, Bishop.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, king of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high
pray for the world, and make it subject to your gentle rule
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man, drawing humanity into the life of God
pray for your bothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, pioneer of our salvation,
bringing us to your glory through your death and resurrection
receive into your kingdom those who have died
  trusting in your promises
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Lord of all things,
ascended far above from the heavens and filling the universe
pray for us who receive the gifts you give us
  for work in your service
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ,
keep the Church in the unity of the Spirit
and in the bond of peace,
and bring the whole created order to worship at your feet;
for you are alive and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

O Lord our God,
grant that your Church,
following the example of your servant Leo of Rome,
may hold fast the great mystery of our redemption,
and adore the one true Christ,
truly God and truly Human,
neither divided from our human nature
nor separate from your divine Being;

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council

Leo I (440-461) and Gregory I (590-604) are the only two bishops of Rome
commonly called "the Great." Leo, at a time when the capital of the Empire
had been moved to Constantinople, and the government even in Italy no longer
had its headquarters at Rome, was the most important official in the city. To
him fell such prosaic tasks as supervising the distribution of grain imports and
reorganizing the municipal fire department. When Attila and the Huns invaded
Italy in 452, he negotiated their withdrawal, and when Gaiseric (or Genseric)
the Vandal captured Rome three years later, it was Leo who prevented the
total destruction of the city. It is perhaps not surprising that the theory of papal
supremacy gained much ground in his day.
In his day there were disgreements about the correct way to state the truth that
Jesus Christ is both God and man. In 449 Leo wrote a letter (known as the
Tome of Leo) to Bishop Flavian of Constantinople, in which he affirmed that
Christ has two Natures in one Person. The letter was read in 451 by the
Council of Chalcedon (the fourth Ecumenical Council), and judged by them to
be sound doctrine. It contributed much to the creedal statements of that
council.
Leo's influence on church government will naturally get mixed reviews. But for
his defense of the belief that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto
himself, all Christians may thank God.
>From a sermon by Leo the Great:
"Although the universal Church of God is constituted of distinct orders of
members, still, in spite of the many parts of its holy body, the Church subsists
as an integral whole, just as the Apostle says: we are all one in Christ. . . For
all, regenerated in Christ, are made kings by the sign of the cross; they are
consecrated priests by the oil of the Holy Spirit, so that beyond the special
service of our ministry as priests, all spiritual and mature Christians know that
they are a royal race and are sharers in the office of the priesthood. For what is
more king-like that to find yourself ruler over your body after having
surrendered your soul to God? And what is more priestly than to promise the
Lord a pure conscience and to offer him in love unblemished victims on the
altar of one's heart? "