OREMUS: 8 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Nov 7 20:21:33 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Monday, November 8, 2004

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

Lord, who may dwell in your tabernacle?*
 who may abide upon your holy hill?
Whoever leads a blameless life and does what is right,*
 who speaks the truth from his heart.
There is no guile upon his tongue;
   he does no evil to his friend;*
 he does not heap contempt upon his neighbour.
In his sight the wicked is rejected,*
 but he honours those who fear the Lord.
He has sworn to do no wrong*
 and does not take back his word.
He does not give his money in hope of gain,*
 nor does he take a bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things*
 shall never be overthrown.

Psalm 16

Protect me, O God, for I take refuge in you;*
 I have said to the Lord, 'You are my Lord,
   my good above all other.'
All my delight is upon the godly that are in the land,*
 upon those who are noble among the people.
But those who run after other gods*
 shall have their troubles multiplied.
Their libations of blood I will not offer,*
 nor take the names of their gods upon my lips.
O Lord, you are my portion and my cup;*
 it is you who uphold my lot.
My boundaries enclose a pleasant land;*
 indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel;*
 my heart teaches me, night after night.
I have set the Lord always before me;*
 because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.
My heart, therefore, is glad and my spirit rejoices;*
 my body also shall rest in hope.
For you will not abandon me to the grave,*
 nor let your holy one see the Pit.
You will show me the path of life;*
 in your presence there is fullness of joy,
   and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Zechariah 1:2-7a]:

The LORD was very angry with your ancestors. Therefore
say to them, Thus says the LORD of hosts: Return to me,
says the LORD of hosts, and I will return to you, says
the LORD of hosts. Do not be like your ancestors, to whom
the former prophets proclaimed, 'Thus says the LORD of
hosts, Return from your evil ways and from your evil
deeds.' But they did not hear or heed me, says the LORD.
Your ancestors, where are they? And the prophets, do they
live for ever? But my words and my statutes, which I
commanded my servants the prophets, did they not overtake
your ancestors? So they repented and said, 'The LORD of
hosts has dealt with us according to our ways and deeds,
just as he planned to do.'
On the twenty-fourth day of the eleventh month, the month
of Shebat, in the second year of Darius, the word of the
LORD came to the prophet Zechariah son of Berechiah son
of Iddo.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 20:20-26

HYMN
Words: Thomas Hornblower Gill, 1868
Tune: Allein Gott in der H”he
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w072.html

We come unto our fathers' God,
their Rock is our salvation;
th'eternal arms, their dear abode,
we make our habitation.
We bring thee, Lord, the praise they brought,
we seek thee as thy saints have sought
in every generation.

The fire divine their steps that led
still goeth bright before us,
the heavenly shield, around them spread,
is still high holden o'er us;
the grace those sinners that subdued,
the strength those weaklings that renewed,
doth vanquish, doth restore us.

Their joy unto their Lord we bring,
their song to us descendeth;
the Spirit who in them did sing
to us his music lendeth;
his song in them, in us, is one;
we raise it high, we send it on
the song that never endeth.

Ye saints to come, take up the strain,
the same sweet theme endeavor;
unbroken be the golden chain!
Keep on the song forever!
Safe in the same dear dwelling place,
rich with the same eternal grace,
bless the same boundless Giver.

O God, you are filled with possibility and mystery.
You hold our anxieties and our hopes.

Your faithful forget to praise you, consumed by self-centered busyness,
O God of stillness, come into our hearts.

Your beloved community is baffled and broken,
O God of healing, come into our churches.

Your people wander in the streets without a place to lay their head,
O God our resting place, come into our neighborhoods.

Your world is torn apart by war and conflict,
O God of Peace, come into our world.

Night and day, we wait and pray, for you, our Emmanuel. Amen.

Establish, O Christ, your kingdom in our hearts
and keep us untainted by this earthly life;
that in your Father's house we may be received
   into the eternal habitations;
where you are alive and reign,
now and for ever. Amen.

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

The psalms and the collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is by Allison Hajdu-Paulen