OREMUS: 7 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 6 23:06:31 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Sunday, November 7, 2004
The Twenty-Third Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

Hear my plea of innocence, O Lord;
   give heed to my cry;*
 listen to my prayer,
   which does not come from lying lips.
Let my vindication come forth from your presence;*
 let your eyes be fixed on justice.
Weigh my heart, summon me by night,*
 melt me down; you will find no impurity in me.
I give no offence with my mouth as others do;*
 I have heeded the words of your lips.
My footsteps hold fast to the ways of your law;*
 in your paths my feet shall not stumble.
I call upon you, O God, for you will answer me;*
 incline your ear to me and hear my words.
Show me your marvellous loving-kindness,*
 O Saviour of those who take refuge at your right hand
   from those who rise up against them.
Keep me as the apple of your eye;*
 hide me under the shadow of your wings,
>From the wicked who assault me,*
 from my deadly enemies who surround me.
They have closed their heart to pity,*
 and their mouth speaks proud things.
They press me hard,
   now they surround me,*
 watching how they may cast me to the ground,
Like a lion, greedy for its prey,*
 and like a young lion lurking in secret places.
Arise, O Lord; confront them and bring them down;*
 deliver me from the wicked by your sword.
Deliver me, O Lord, by your hand*
 from those whose portion in life is this world;
Whose bellies you fill with your treasure,*
 who are well supplied with children
   and leave their wealth to their little ones.
But at my vindication I shall see your face;*
 when I awake, I shall be satisfied,
   beholding your likeness.

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12:22-24a,28-29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.

We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.

We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.

We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.

We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,

full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Zechariah 10:6-12]:

I will strengthen the house of Judah,
   and I will save the house of Joseph.
I will bring them back because I have compassion on them,
   and they shall be as though I had not rejected them;
   for I am the LORD their God and I will answer them.
Then the people of Ephraim shall become like warriors,
   and their hearts shall be glad as with wine.
Their children shall see it and rejoice,
   their hearts shall exult in the LORD.

I will signal for them and gather them in,
   for I have redeemed them,
   and they shall be as numerous as they were before.
Though I scattered them among the nations,
   yet in far countries they shall remember me,
   and they shall rear their children and return.
I will bring them home from the land of Egypt,
   and gather them from Assyria;
I will bring them to the land of Gilead and to Lebanon,
   until there is no room for them.
They shall pass through the sea of distress,
   and the waves of the sea shall be struck down,
   and all the depths of the Nile dried up.
The pride of Assyria shall be laid low,
   and the sceptre of Egypt shall depart.
I will make them strong in the LORD,
   and they shall walk in his name,
says the LORD.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 20:41--21:4

HYMN
Words: Donald Hankey (1884-1916)
Tune: Old 117th
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l429.html

Lord of the strong, when earth you trod,
you calmly faced the angry sea,
and fierce unmasked hypocrisy,
the traitor's kiss, the rabble's hiss,
the awful death upon the tree:
all glory be to thee, O God.

Lord of the weak, when earth you trod,
oppressors writhed beneath your scorn;
the weak, despised, depraved, forlorn,
you taught to hope and know the scope
of love divine for all who mourn:
all glory be to thee, O God.

Lord of the rich, when earth you trod,
to Mammon's power you never bowed,
but taught how men with wealth endowed
in meekness' school might learn to rule
the demon that enslaves the proud:
all glory be to thee, O God.

Lord of the poor, when earth you trod,
the lot you chose was hard and poor;
you taught us hardness to endure,
and so to gain through hurt and pain
the wealth that lasts for evermore:
all glory be to thee, O God.

Lord of us all, when earth you trod,
the life you led was perfect, free,
defiant of all tyranny.
Now give us grace that we may face
our foes with like temerity,
and glory give to thee, O God.

As we await the coming of the Lord
let us offer prayers to God
who bears the sins of many.

For our bishops,
for this holy gathering,
and for the people of God in every place.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For mercy, justice, and peace among all peoples.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For good weather,
abundant fruits of the earth
and peaceful times.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For our city and those who live in it
and for all those we love.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all those in danger and need:
the sick and the suffering,
prisoners, captives, and their families,
the hungry, homeless, and oppressed.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For those who rest in Christ and for all the dead.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Lifting our voices with all creation,
let us offer ourselves and one another
to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord.

Living Lord,
you have made this day your own
and called us out of darkness into your marvellous light;
open the gates of righteousness
that your pilgrim people may enter
and be built into a living temple
on the cornerstone of our salvation,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is by Ormonde Plater.

The collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is