OREMUS: 5 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Nov 4 17:00:01 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Friday, November 5, 2004

Blessed are you, Lover of our souls,
in Jesus, your Incarnate One and our Redeemer,
you have made us no longer strangers and sojourners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of your household.

The Lord is my shepherd;*
 I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures*
 and leads me beside still waters.
He revives my soul*
 and guides me along right pathways for his name's sake.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
   I shall fear no evil;*
 for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You spread a table before me
   in the presence of those who trouble me;*
 you have anointed my head with oil,
   and my cup is running over.
Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me
   all the days of my life,*
 and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Psalm 125

Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,*
 which cannot be moved, but stands fast for ever.
The hills stand about Jerusalem;*
 so does the Lord stand round about his people,
   from this time forth for evermore.
The sceptre of the wicked shall not hold sway
   over the land allotted to the just,*
 so that the just shall not put their hands to evil.
Show your goodness, O Lord, to those who are good*
 and to those who are true of heart.
As for those who turn aside to crooked ways,
   the Lord will lead them away with the evildoers;*
 but peace be upon Israel.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

READING [Zechariah 9:9-17]:

Rejoice greatly, O daughter Zion!
   Shout aloud, O daughter Jerusalem!
Lo, your king comes to you;
   triumphant and victorious is he,
humble and riding on a donkey,
   on a colt, the foal of a donkey.
He will cut off the chariot from Ephraim
   and the warhorse from Jerusalem;
and the battle-bow shall be cut off,
   and he shall command peace to the nations;
his dominion shall be from sea to sea,
   and from the River to the ends of the earth.

As for you also, because of the blood
of my covenant with you,
   I will set your prisoners free from the waterless pit.
Return to your stronghold, O prisoners of hope;
   today I declare that I will restore to you double.
For I have bent Judah as my bow;
   I have made Ephraim its arrow.
I will arouse your sons, O Zion,
   against your sons, O Greece,
   and wield you like a warrior's sword.

Then the LORD will appear over them,
   and his arrow go forth like lightning;
the Lord GOD will sound the trumpet
   and march forth in the whirlwinds of the south.
The LORD of hosts will protect them,
   and they shall devour and tread down the slingers;
they shall drink their blood like wine,
   and be full like a bowl,
   drenched like the corners of the altar.

On that day the LORD their God will save them,
   for they are the flock of his people;
for like the jewels of a crown
   they shall shine on his land.
For what goodness and beauty are his!
   Grain shall make the young men flourish,
   and new wine the young women.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 20:9-19

HYMN
Words: Robert Bridges (1844-1930)
Tune: Michael
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a133.html

All my hope on God is founded;
he doth still my trust renew,
me through change and chance he guideth,
only good and only true.
God unknown,
he alone
calls my heart to be his own.

Pride of man and earthly glory,
sword and crown betray his trust;
what with care and toil he buildeth,
tower and temple fall to dust.
But God's power,
hour by hour,
is my temple and my tower.

God's great goodness aye endureth,
deep his wisdom, passing thought:
splendor, light and life attend him,
beauty springeth out of naught.
Evermore
from his store
newborn worlds rise and adore.

Daily doth the almighty Giver
bounteous gifts on us bestow;
his desire our soul delighteth,
pleasure leads us where we go.
Love doth stand
at his hand;
joy doth wait on his command.

Still from man to God eternal
sacrifice of praise be done,
high above all praises praising
for the gift of Christ, his Son.
Christ doth call
one and all:
ye who follow shall not fall.

In joyful hope, we pray to you, O Lord:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to your Church as Lord and Judge
and give us a longing for your loving rule.
We pray especially for the Diocese of Kagera, Tanzania,
The Rt Revd Aaron Kijanjal, Bishop :
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to your world as King of the nations
and let righteousness and peace prevail:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to us as Savior and Comforter,
breaking into our failure and freeing us to serve you:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to us with power and great joy,
that our hearts may be lifted to meet you in joy:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Glory to you, Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd.
In the waters of baptism you give us new birth,
at your table you nourish us with heavenly food,
and in your goodness and mercy
you guide us beyond the terrors of evil and death
to your Father's home to dwell in eternal light.
Glory to you for ever. Amen.

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Assured of your love,
help us to cast aside all fear,
that we may love our neighbors as ourselves. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Ephesians 2:19.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by the Durham Diocesan Liturgical
Committee, alt.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing sentence uses a phrase from a prayer  adapted from _Revised
Common Texts