OREMUS: 3 November 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 2 17:00:01 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Wednesday, November 3, 2004
Richard Hooker, Priest, Anglican Apologist, Teacher of the Faith, 1600

Blessed are you, Lover of our souls,
in Jesus, your Incarnate One and our Redeemer,
you have made us no longer strangers and sojourners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of your household.

You are to be praised, O God, in Zion;*
 to you shall vows be performed in Jerusalem.
To you that hear prayer shall all flesh come,*
 because of their transgressions.
Our sins are stronger than we are,*
 but you will blot them out.
Happy are they whom you choose
   and draw to your courts to dwell there!*
 they will be satisfied by the beauty of your house,
   by the holiness of your temple.
Awesome things will you show us in your righteousness,
   O God of our salvation,*
 O Hope of all the ends of the earth
   and of the seas that are far away.
You make fast the mountains by your power;*
 they are girded about with might.
You still the roaring of the seas,*
 the roaring of their waves,
   and the clamour of the peoples.
Those who dwell at the ends of the earth
   will tremble at your marvellous signs;*
 you make the dawn and the dusk to sing for joy.
You visit the earth and water it abundantly;
   you make it very plenteous;*
 the river of God is full of water.
You prepare the grain,*
 for so you provide for the earth.
You drench the furrows and smooth out the ridges;*
 with heavy rain you soften the ground
   and bless its increase.
You crown the year with your goodness,*
 and your paths overflow with plenty.
May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing,*
 and the hills be clothed with joy.
May the meadows cover themselves with flocks
   and the valleys cloak themselves with grain;*
 let them shout for joy and sing.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Zechariah 8:1-13]:

The word of the LORD of hosts came to me, saying: Thus
says the LORD of hosts: I am jealous for Zion with great
jealousy, and I am jealous for her with great wrath. Thus
says the LORD: I will return to Zion, and will dwell in
the midst of Jerusalem; Jerusalem shall be called the
faithful city, and the mountain of the LORD of hosts
shall be called the holy mountain. Thus says the LORD of
hosts: Old men and old women shall again sit in the
streets of Jerusalem, each with staff in hand because of
their great age. And the streets of the city shall be
full of boys and girls playing in its streets. Thus says
the LORD of hosts: Even though it seems impossible to the
remnant of this people in these days, should it also seem
impossible to me, says the LORD of hosts? Thus says the
LORD of hosts: I will save my people from the east
country and from the west country; and I will bring them
to live in Jerusalem. They shall be my people and I will
be their God, in faithfulness and in righteousness.
Thus says the LORD of hosts: Let your hands be strong you
that have recently been hearing these words from the
mouths of the prophets who were present when the
foundation was laid for the rebuilding of the temple, the
house of the LORD of hosts. For before those days there
were no wages for people or for animals, nor was there
any safety from the foe for those who went out or came
in, and I set them all against one another. But now I
will not deal with the remnant of this people as in the
former days, says the LORD of hosts. For there shall be a
sowing of peace; the vine shall yield its fruit, the
ground shall give its produce, and the skies shall give
their dew; and I will cause the remnant of this people to
possess all these things. Just as you have been a cursing
among the nations, O house of Judah and house of Israel,
so I will save you and you shall be a blessing. Do not be
afraid, but let your hands be strong.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 19:41-48

HYMN
Words: (c) Alan Gaunt
Tune: Rendez a Dieu
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c246.html

Come, living God, when least expected,
when minds are dull and hearts are cold,
through sharpening word and warm affection
revealing truth as yet untold.
Break from the tomb in which we hide you
to speak again in startling ways;
break through the words in which we bind you
to resurrect our lifeless praise.

Come now, as once you came to Moses
within the bush alive with flame;
or to Elijah on the mountain,
by silence pressing home your claim.
So, let our minds be sharp to read you
in sight or sound or printed page,
and let us greet you in our neighbors,
in ardent youth or mellow age.

Then, through our gloom, your Son will meet us
as vivid truth and living Lord,
exploding doubt and disillusion
to scatter hope and joy abroad.
Then we will share his radiant brightness,
and, blazing through the dread of night,
illuminate by love and reason,
for those in darkness, faith's delight.

>From the rising of the sun to its setting,
let us pray to the Lord.

That the people of God in all the world
may worship in spirit and in truth,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That the Church may discover again that unity which is your gift,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

For your Church in every place, especially
the Diocese of Kadugli & Nuba Mountains, Sudan,
The Rt Revd Andudu Adam Elnail, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Kajo Keji, Sudan,
The Rt Revd Manasseh Dawidi Binyi, Bishop.
Lord, have mercy.

That the nations of the earth
may seek after the ways that make for peace,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That the whole creation, groaning in travail,
may be set free to enjoy the glorious liberty
of the children of God,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That all who with Christ have entered the shadow of death
may find the fulfilment of life and peace,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

With all the saints in light,
let us offer eternal praise to the Lord made manifest:

Lord God,
joy marks your presence:
beauty, abundance and peace
are the tokens of your work in all creation.
Work also in our lives,
that by these signs we may see the splendor of your love
and praise you through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God of truth and peace,
you raised up your servant Richard Hooker
in a day of bitter controversy
to defend with sound reasoning and great charity
the catholic and reformed religion:
Grant that we may maintain that middle way,
not as a compromise for the sake of peace,
but as a comprehension for the sake of truth;
through Jesus Christ Son our Lord,

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Assured of your love,
help us to cast aside all fear,
that we may love our neighbors as ourselves. Amen.

The psalms and the intercession are from _Celebrating Common
Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is
used with permission.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Ephesians 2:19.

The closing sentence uses a phrase from a prayer  adapted from _Revised
Common Texts.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

On any list of great English theologians, the name of Richard Hooker would
appear at or near the top. His masterpiece is The Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity.
Its philosophical base is Aristotelian, with a strong emphasis on natural law
eternally planted by God in creation. On this foundation, all positive laws of
Church and State are developed from Scriptural revelation, ancient tradition,
reason, and experience.
The occasion of his writing was the demand of English Puritans for a
reformation of Church government. Calvin had established in Geneva a system
whereby each congregation was ruled by a commission comprising two thirds
laymen elected annually by the congregation and one third clergy serving for
life. The English Puritans (by arguments more curious than convincing) held
that no church not so governed could claim to be Christian.
Hooker replies to this assertion, but in the process he raises and considers
fundamental questions about the authority and legitimacy of government
(religious and secular), about the nature of law, and about various kinds of law,
including the laws of physics as well as the laws of England. In the course of
his book he sets forth the Anglican view of the Church, and the Anglican
approach to the discovery of religious truth (the so-called via media, or middle
road), and explains how this differs from the position of the Puritans, on the
one hand, and the adherents of the Pope, on the other. He is very heavy
reading, but well worth it. (He says, on the first page of Chapter I: "Those unto
whom we shall seem tedious are in no wise injuried by us, seeing that it lies in
their own hands to spare themselves the labor they are unwilling to endure."
This translates into modern English as: "If you can't take the intellectual heat,
get out of the kitchen. If you can't stand a book that makes you think, go read
the funny papers.")
The effect of the book has been considerable. Hooker greatly influenced John
Locke, and (both directly and through Locke), American political philosophy
in the late 1700's. Although Hooker is unsparing in his censure of what he
believes to be the errors of Rome, his contemporary, Pope Clement VIII (died
1605), said of the book: "It has in it such seeds of eternity that it will abide
until the last fire shall consume all learning."
Hooker's best short work is his sermon, "A Learned discourse of Justification."
In an earlier sermon, Hooker had expressed the hope of seeing in Heaven many
who had been Romanists on earth. A Puritan preacher took him to task for
this, saying that since the Romanists did not believe the doctrine of Justification
by Faith, they could not be justified. Hooker replied at length in this sermon, in
which (1) he sets forth the Doctrine of Justification by Faith, and agrees with
his opponent that the official theology of Rome is defective on this point; (2)
he defends his assertion that those who do not rightly understand the means
that God has provided for our salvation may nonetheless be saved by it, in
which connection he says: "God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up
whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our
weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say
aright." [James Kiefer]