OREMUS: 23 December 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Dec 22 17:00:01 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Thursday, December 23, 2004
O Emmanuel

Blessed are you, Emmanuel
gentle Ruler and Giver of Laws,
the nations cry out for you
to rescue them from their exile.
You come and visit us in peace, O Lord,
and we rejoice with renewed hearts.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 76

In Judah is God known;*
 his name is great in Israel.
At Salem is his tabernacle,*
 and his dwelling is in Zion.
There he broke the flashing arrows,*
 the shield, the sword and the weapons of battle.
How glorious you are!*
 more splendid than the everlasting mountains!
The strong of heart have been despoiled;
   they sink into sleep;*
 none of the warriors can lift a hand.
At your rebuke, O God of Jacob,*
 both horse and rider lie stunned.
What terror you inspire!*
 who can stand before you when you are angry?
>From heaven you pronounced judgement;*
 the earth was afraid and was still;
When God rose up to judgement*
 and to save all the oppressed of the earth.
Truly, wrathful Edom will give you thanks,*
 and the remnant of Hamath will keep your feasts.
Make a vow to the Lord your God and keep it;*
 let all around him bring gifts
   to him who is worthy to be feared.
He breaks the spirit of princes,*
 and strikes terror in the kings of the earth.

Psalm 120

When I was in trouble I called to the Lord,*
 I called to the Lord and he answered me.
Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips*
 and from the deceitful tongue.
What shall be done to you and what more besides,*
 O you deceitful tongue?
The sharpened arrows of a warrior,*
 along with hot glowing coals.
How hateful it is that I must lodge in Meshech*
 and dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had to live*
 among the enemies of peace.
I am on the side of peace,*
 but when I speak of it, they are for war.

A Song of the Covenant (Isaiah 42:5-8a)

Thus says God, who created the heavens,
who fashioned the earth and all that dwells in it;

Who gives breath to the people upon it,
and spirit to those who walk in it,

'I am the Lord and I have called you in righteousness,
I have taken you by the hand and kept you;

'I have given you as a covenant to the people,
a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind.

'To bring out the captives from the dungeon,
from the prison, those who sit in darkness.

'I am the Lord, that is my name;
my glory I give to no other.'

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Matthew 1:18-23]:

Now the birth of Jesus the Messiah took place in this
way. When his mother Mary had been engaged to Joseph, but
before they lived together, she was found to be with
child from the Holy Spirit. Her husband Joseph, being a
righteous man and unwilling to expose her to public
disgrace, planned to dismiss her quietly. But just when
he had resolved to do this, an angel of the Lord appeared
to him in a dream and said, 'Joseph, son of David, do not
be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the child
conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a
son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his
people from their sins.' All this took place to fulfil
what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet:
'Look, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
   and they shall name him Emmanuel',
which means, 'God is with us.'

For another Biblical reading,
Jeremiah 23:5-8

HYMN
Words: Christopher Smart (1722-1771), alt.
Tune: Rustington
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w407.html

Where is this stupendous stranger?
Prophets, shepherds, kings, advise.
Lead me to my Master's manger,
show me where my Savior lies.
O Most Mighty! O Most Holy!
Far beyond the seraph's thought:
art thou then so weak and lowly
as unheeded prophets taught?

O the magnitude of meekness!
Worth from worth immortal sprung;
O the strength of infant weakness,
if eternal is so young!
God all-bounteous, all-creative,
whom no ills from good dissuade,
is incarnate, and a native
of the very world he made.

Merciful God,
if we have spent so much time shopping
that we have had little time to spend
with those for whom we are shopping,
forgive us and give us sensitivity.

If we become so busy practicing for the Christmas programs
that we forget to think about what they mean,
forgive us and give us understanding.

If we decorate our houses
but neglect the inner beauty of our homes,
forgive us and grant us love.

If we are worried about how much Christmas is going to cost us,
but have given little thought to how much Christmas cost God,
forgive us and give us perspective.

If we are so consumed with thinking about Christmas
that we have little consideration
of the meaning of the first Christmas,
forgive us and give us insight.

We pray today especially for the Diocese of Kushtia, Bangladesh,
The Rt Revd Paul Sishir Sarkar, Bishop.

Purify our conscience, Almighty God, by your daily visitation,
that your Son Jesus Christ, at his coming,
may find in us a mansion prepared for himself;
who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found here

O come, O come, Emmanuel,
and ransom captive Israel,
that mourns in lonely exile here
until the Son of God appear.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner and is based
on the antiphons O Emmanuel and Veni Domine.

The intercession is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

of The Episcopal Church_.