OREMUS: 20 December 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Dec 19 18:59:11 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Monday, December 20, 2004
O Clavis David

Blessed are you, O Key of David,
scepter of the house of Israel,
you open and none can shut,
you shut and none can open.
You come to release those who are imprisoned
by darkness and the shadow of death
and lead your captive people into freedom.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 118

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.
Let Israel now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let the house of Aaron now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let those who fear the Lord now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
I called to the Lord in my distress;*
 the Lord answered by setting me free.
The Lord is at my side, therefore I will not fear;*
 what can anyone do to me?
The Lord is at my side to help me;*
 I will triumph over those who hate me.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in flesh.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in rulers.
All the ungodly encompass me;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They hem me in, they hem me in on every side;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They swarm about me like bees;
   they blaze like a fire of thorns;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
I was pressed so hard that I almost fell,*
 but the Lord came to my help.
The Lord is my strength and my song,*
 and he has become my salvation.
There is a sound of exultation and victory*
 in the tents of the righteous:
'The right hand of the Lord has triumphed!*
 the right hand of the Lord is exalted!
   the right hand of the Lord has triumphed!'
I shall not die, but live,*
 and declare the works of the Lord.
The Lord has punished me sorely,*
 but he did not hand me over to death.
Open for me the gates of righteousness;*
 I will enter them; I will offer thanks to the Lord.
'This is the gate of the Lord;*
 whoever is righteous may enter.'
I will give thanks to you, for you answered me*
 and have become my salvation.
The same stone which the builders rejected*
 has become the chief corner-stone.
This is the Lord's doing,*
 and it is marvellous in our eyes.
On this day the Lord has acted;*
 we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Hosanna, Lord, hosanna!*
 Lord, send us now success.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord;*
 we bless you from the house of the Lord.
God is the Lord; he has shined upon us;*
 form a procession with branches
   up to the horns of the altar.
'You are my God and I will thank you;*
 you are my God and I will exalt you.'
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of God's Chosen One (Isaiah 11.1-4a,6,9)

There shall come forth a shoot from the stock of Jesse,
and a branch shall grow out of his roots.

And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him,
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,

The spirit of counsel and might,
the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.

He shall not judge by what his eyes see,
or decide by what his ears hear,

But with righteousness he shall judge the poor,
and decide with equity for the meek of the earth.

The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the kid.

The calf, the lion and the fatling together,
with a little child to lead them.

They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain,
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Isaiah 22:21-23]:

I will clothe him with your robe and bind your sash on
him. I will commit your authority to his hand, and he
shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and to
the house of Judah. I will place on his shoulder the key
of the house of David; he shall open, and no one shall
shut; he shall shut, and no one shall open. I will fasten
him like a peg in a secure place, and he will become a
throne of honour to his ancestral house.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Corinthians 1:3-9

HYMN
Words: Piae cantiones, 1582; trans. John Mason Neale (1818-1866)
Tune: Angelus emittitur
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g002.html

Gabriel's message does away
Satan's curse and Satan's sway,
out of darkness brings our Day:
Refrain:
so, behold,
all the gates of heaven unfold.

He that comes despised shall reign;
he that cannot die, be slain;
death by death its death shall gain: Refrain

Weakness shall the strong confound;
by the hands, in grave clothes wound,
Adam's chains shall be unbound. Refrain

By the sword that was his own,
by that sword, and that alone,
shall Goliath be o'erthrown: Refrain

Art by art shall be assailed;
to the cross shall Life be nailed;
from the grave shall hope be hailed: Refrain

in silence
you watched,
you waited,
you yearned

    until your heart
    could break no more

so you came to us . . .

in a stable
where no one noticed you;

by a well
where you welcomed the outsider;

on a hillside
where you fed hungry souls;

on a cross
when you died for us

        in love,
        you came to us.

in silence
we watch,
we wait, we yearn.

        come, Lord Jesus,
        that we might rejoice
        once again.
        Amen.

O God, Father of the poor and lowly,
you have called all people to share the peace and joy of your kingdom:
Show us your kindness and grant us hearts pure and generous,
that we may prepare the way for the Savior who is coming,
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found <a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/mid/veniemma.mid">here

O come, thou Key of David, come,
and open wide our heavenly home;
make safe the way that leads on high,
and close the path to misery.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on the antiphon O Clavis David.

The prayer is (c) Thom M. Shuman and is used with permission.

The collect is from _Uniting in Worship_, The Uniting Church in
Australia.