OREMUS: 19 December 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Dec 18 17:00:01 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Sunday, December 19, 2004
The Fourth Sunday of Advent
O Radix Jesse

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might!
You sent your Son, the Word born in silence,
to be born as the majestic fruit of Jesse's stem,
standing as a sign to the people of Israel,
and King before whom all kings shall shut their mouths
and whom all nations shall seek.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 116

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Isaiah 11:1-4a]:

A shoot shall come out from the stock of Jesse,
   and a branch shall grow out of his roots.
The spirit of the LORD shall rest on him,
   the spirit of wisdom and understanding,
   the spirit of counsel and might,
   the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.
His delight shall be in the fear of the LORD.
He shall not judge by what his eyes see,
   or decide by what his ears hear;
but with righteousness he shall judge the poor,
   and decide with equity for the meek of the earth;
he shall strike the earth with the rod of his mouth,
   and with the breath of his lips
   he shall kill the wicked.

For another Biblical reading,
Jude

HYMN
Words: tanzas 1-2: German, fifteenth century carol; trans. Theodore Baker, 1894.
stanzas 3-4: Friedrich Layritz (1808-1859); trans. Harriet Reynolds Krauth (1845-1925).
Tune: Es ist ein Ros
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l189.html

Lo, how a Rose e'er blooming
from tender stem hath sprung!
of Jesse's lineage coming,
as those of old have sung.
It came, a floweret bright,
amid the cold of winter,
when half spent was the night.

Isaiah 'twas foretold it,
the Rose I have in mind;
with Mary we behold it,
the Virgin Mother kind.
To show God's love aright,
she bore to us a Savior,
when half spent was the night.

The shepherds heard the story
proclaimed by angels bright,
how Christ, the Lord of glory
was born on earth this night.
To Bethlehem they sped
and in the manger they found him,
as angel heralds said.

This Flower, whose fragrance tender
with sweetness fills the air,
dispels with glorious splendor
the darkness everywhere;
true man, yet very God,
from sin and death he saves us,
and lightens every load.

As we look forward to your coming,
we call to mind our sins.

The hatred which divides nation from nation,
race from race, class from class:
Father forgive.

The covetous desires of people and nations
to possess what is not their own:
Father forgive.

The greed which exploits the work of human hands
and lays waste the earth:
Father forgive.

Our envy of the welfare and happiness of others:
Father forgive.

Our indifference to the plight
of the imprisoned, the homeless and the refugee:
Father forgive.

The lust which dishonors
the bodies of men, women and children:
Father forgive.

The pride which leads us to trust in ourselves
and not in God:
Father forgive.

O Lord our God,
by your Word you created us,
and your grace you sustain us:
May your love continually dawn in our hearts,
that others may see you in our actions
and be ready to welcome your Son;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found here

O come, thou Branch of Jesse's tree,
free them from Satan's tyranny
that trust thy mighty power to save,
and give them victory o'er the grave.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and is based on the
antiphon O Radix and phrases from a prayer from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The intercession is from Coventry Cathedral as given in _Words for
Worship_; used by permission of Herald Press.

The collect (slightly altered) is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A
Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.
The penultimate line is by Stephen Benner.