OREMUS: 18 December 2004

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Sat Dec 18 01:51:18 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Saturday, December 18, 2004
O Adonai

Blessed are you, God of hope,
the Lord of ancient Israel,
who showed yourself to Moses in the burning bush
and gave him the holy law on Sinai.
You call us home from the exile of selfish oppression
to the freedom of justice,
the balm of healing,
and the joy of sharing.

Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
    but to your name give glory;*
  because of your love and because of your faithfulness.
Why should the heathen say,*
  ‘Where then is their God?’
Our God is in heaven;*
  whatever he wills to do he does.
Their idols are silver and gold,*
  the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
  eyes have they, but they cannot see;
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
  noses, but they cannot smell;
They have hands, but they cannot feel;
    feet, but they cannot walk;*
  they make no sound with their throat.
Those who make them are like them,*
  and so are all who put their trust in them.
O Israel, trust in the Lord;*
  he is their help and their shield.
O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord;*
  he is their help and their shield.
You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord;*
  he is their help and their shield.
The Lord has been mindful of us and he will bless us;*
  he will bless the house of Israel;
    he will bless the house of Aaron;
He will bless those who fear the Lord,*
  both small and great together.
May the Lord increase you more and more,*
  you and your children after you.
May you be blessed by the Lord,*
  the maker of heaven and earth.
The heaven of heavens is the Lord’s,*
  but he entrusted the earth to its peoples.
The dead do not praise the Lord,*
  nor all those who go down into silence;
But we will bless the Lord,*
  from this time forth for evermore.
    Alleluia!

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;

Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,

As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.

For Zion's sake, I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,

Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.

The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;

Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.

You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

  and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Exodus 3:1-6]:

Moses was keeping the flock of his father-in-law Jethro,
the priest of Midian; he led his flock beyond the wilderness,
and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. There the
angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire
out of a bush; he looked, and the bush was blazing,
yet it was not consumed. Then Moses said, 'I must
turn aside and look at this great sight, and see why the
bush is not burned up.' When the LORD saw that he had
turned aside to see, God called to him out of the bush, 'Moses,
Moses!' And he said, 'Here I am.' Then he said, 'Come no
closer! Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place on
which you are standing is holy ground.' He said further, 'I am
the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac,
and the God of Jacob.' And Moses hid his face, for he was
afraid to look at God.

For another Biblical reading, 2 Peter 3:8-13

HYMN
Words: Latin, tenth century; trans. Charles Bigg, 1906
Tune: Verbum supernum prodiens

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h250.html

High Word of God, who once didst come,
leaving thy Father and thy home,
to succor by thy birth our kind,
when, towards thy advent, time declined,

Pour light upon us from above,
and fire our hearts with thy strong love,
that, as we hear thy Gospel read,
all fond desires may flee in dread;

That when thou comest from the skies,
great Judge, to open thine assize,
to give each hidden sin its smart,
and crown as kings the pure in heart,

We be not set at thy left hand,
where sentence due would bid us stand,
but with the saints thy face may see,
forever wholly loving thee.

Praise to the Father and the Son,
through all the ages as they run;
and to the holy Paraclete
be praise with them and worship meet.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening),
or Nunc dimittis (Night) may follow.

Prayer:
O Lord,
you have revealed yourself in manifold ways
throughout human history.
You are surely coming and without delay:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

At your coming all things will rejoice:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

You come to show us our dignity as God's children:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

Look with compassion on the sick and the suffering:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

Help us to recognize the signs of the times:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

May all things be judged in the light of your truth:
Come, Lord Jesus, come.

O God of the exiles and the lost,
you promise restoration and wholeness
through the power of Jesus Christ.
Give us faith to live joyfully,
sustained by your promises
as we eagerly await the day when they will be fulfilled
for all the world to see,
through the coming of our your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found here

O come, O come, thou Lord of might,
who to thy tribes on Sinai's height
in ancient times didst give the law,
in cloud, and majesty, and awe.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer
(Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992,
which is used with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition, copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard
Version (Anglicized Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by
the Division of Christian Education of the National Council
of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner
and is based on the antiphon O Adonai and a sentence
from Revised Common Lectionary Prayers, copyright
© 2002 Consultation on Common Texts.

The collect is reprinted from Revised Common Lectionary Prayers, copyright
© 2002 Consultation on Common Texts.