OREMUS: 16 December 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Dec 15 21:20:57 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Thursday, December 16, 2004

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might!
You offer to your Church these holy days of Advent
to revive and sustain us in hope,
that we may walk as children of light, ever watchful,
and come at last to your eternal kingdom
where your Son, Jesus Christ reigns in peace.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 89:1-9,11-14,18-21,24-29, 52

Your love, O Lord, for ever will I sing;*
 from age to age my mouth will proclaim your faithfulness.
For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever;*
 you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
'I have made a covenant with my chosen one;*
 I have sworn an oath to David my servant:
'"I will establish your line for ever,*
 and preserve your throne for all generations."'
The heavens bear witness to your wonders, O Lord,*
 and to your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones;
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?*
 who is like the Lord among the gods?
God is much to be feared in the council of the holy ones,*
 great and terrible to all those round about him.
Who is like you, Lord God of hosts?*
 O mighty Lord, your faithfulness is all around you.
You rule the raging of the sea*
 and still the surging of its waves.
Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours;*
 you laid the foundations of the world
   and all that is in it.
You have made the north and the south;*
 Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name.
You have a mighty arm;*
 strong is your hand and high is your right hand.
Righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of your throne;*
 love and truth go before your face.
Truly, the Lord is our ruler;*
 the Holy One of Israel is our king.
You spoke once in a vision
   and said to your faithful people:*
 'I have set the crown upon a warrior
   and have exalted one chosen out of the people.
'I have found David my servant;*
 with my holy oil have I anointed him.
'My hand will hold him fast*
 and my arm will make him strong.
'My faithfulness and love shall be with him,*
 and he shall be victorious through my name.
'I shall make his dominion extend*
 from the Great Sea to the River.
'He will say to me, "You are my Father,*
 my God and the rock of my salvation."
'I will make him my first-born*
 and higher than the kings of the earth.
'I will keep my love for him for ever,*
 and my covenant will stand firm for him.
'I will establish his line for ever*
 and his throne as the days of heaven.
Blessed be the Lord for evermore!*
 Amen, I say, Amen.

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,

Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.

They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.

For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,

And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.

The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.

For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [John 3:22-30]:

After this Jesus and his disciples went into the Judean
countryside, and he spent some time there with them and
baptized. John also was baptizing at Aenon near Salim
because water was abundant there; and people kept coming
and were being baptized  John, of course, had not yet
been thrown into prison.
Now a discussion about purification arose between John's
disciples and a Jew. They came to John and said to him,
'Rabbi, the one who was with you across the Jordan, to
whom you testified, here he is baptizing, and all are
going to him.' John answered, 'No one can receive
anything except what has been given from heaven. You
yourselves are my witnesses that I said, "I am not the
Messiah, but I have been sent ahead of him." He who has
the bride is the bridegroom. The friend of the
bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at
the bridegroom's voice. For this reason my joy has been
fulfilled. He must increase, but I must decrease.'

For another Biblical reading,
1 Kings 18:7-16

HYMN
Words:  Paul the Deacon (730-799);
Trans. C. S. Phillips (1883-1949) (c)
Tune: Lobet den Herren, Ut queant laxis
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s206.html

Sing we the praises of the great forerunner,
tell forth the mighty wonders of his story:
so may his Master cleanse our lips and make them
fit to extol him.

Lo, God's high herald, swift from heaven descending,
gives to thy father tidings of thy coming,
telling thy name and all the tale of marvels
that shall befall thee.

Oft had the prophets in the time before thee
spoken in vision of the Daystar's coming;
but when he came, 'twas thou that didst proclaim him
Savior of all men.

O Lord, answer us in the day of trouble,
Send us help from your holy place.

Show us the path of life,
For in your presence is joy.

Give justice to the orphan and oppressed
And break the power of wickedness and evil.

Look upon the hungry and sorrowful
And grant them the help for which they long.

Let the heavens rejoice and the earth be glad;
May your glory endure for ever.

Your kingship has dominion over all
And with you is our redemption.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Kootenay, Canada, The Most Revd David P Crawley, Archbishop.
Lord, have mercy.

Eternal God,
you are our salvation, our strength, our shield.
In this season of expectancy,
open our eyes to our sin.
Let your Spirit reveal the darkness of our souls
and let daybreak come through your deliverance.
Come in the glory of your saving light
and shine upon our pathways;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Kindle in us the fire of your Spirit
that when your Christ comes again
we may shine as lights before him. Amen.

Hymn(c) 1932 Hope Publishing Company, Carol Stream, IL 60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, contact:

Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
In the UK, contact:  Hymns Ancient & Modern Ltd.,
St. Mary's Works, St. Mary's Plain, Norwich, Norfolk  NR3 3BH  England

The collect is slightly adapted from a prayer by Arlene M. Mark, _Words
for Worship_; used by permission of Herald Press.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.