OREMUS: 9 December 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Dec 8 21:45:10 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Thursday, December 9, 2004

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might,
with tender comfort and transforming power
you come into our midst.
You remember your ancient promise
and make straight the paths that lead to you
and smooth out the rough ways,
that in our day
we might bring forth your compassion
for all humanity.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills;*
 from where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved*
 and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel*
 shall neither slumber nor sleep;
The Lord himself watches over you;*
 the Lord is your shade at your right hand,
So that the sun shall not strike you by day,*
 nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;*
 it is he who shall keep you safe.
The Lord shall watch over your going out
   and your coming in,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

Psalm 124

If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 let Israel now say;
If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 when enemies rose up against us;
Then would they have swallowed us up alive*
 in their fierce anger towards us;
Then would the waters have overwhelmed us*
 and the torrent gone over us;
Then would the raging waters*
 have gone right over us.
Blessed be the Lord!*
 he has not given us over to be a prey for their teeth.
We have escaped like a bird
   from the snare of the fowler;*
 the snare is broken and we have escaped.
Our help is in the name of the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,

Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.

They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.

For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,

And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.

The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.

For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Isaiah 49:1-6]:

Listen to me, O coastlands,
   pay attention, you peoples from far away!
The LORD called me before I was born,
   while I was in my mother's womb he named me.
He made my mouth like a sharp sword,
   in the shadow of his hand he hid me;
he made me a polished arrow,
   in his quiver he hid me away.
And he said to me, 'You are my servant,
   Israel, in whom I will be glorified.'
But I said, 'I have laboured in vain,
   I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity;
yet surely my cause is with the LORD,
   and my reward with my God.'

And now the LORD says,
   who formed me in the womb to be his servant,
to bring Jacob back to him,
   and that Israel might be gathered to him,
for I am honoured in the sight of the LORD,
   and my God has become my strength
he says,
'It is too light a thing that you should be my servant
   to raise up the tribes of Jacob
   and to restore the survivors of Israel;
I will give you as a light to the nations,
   that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.'

For another Biblical reading,
Revelation 19:6-10

HYMN
Words: Charles Coffin, 1736; trans. Harriett Packer, 1906
Tune: St. Thomas (Williams)
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t068.html

The advent of our God
with eager prayers we greet,
and singing haste upon his road
his glorious gift to meet.

The everlasting Son
scorns not a Virgin's womb;
that we from bondage may be won
he bears a bondsman's doom.

Daughter of Zion, rise
to meet thy lowly King,
let not thy stubborn heart despise
the peace he deigns to bring.

In clouds of awful light,
as judge he comes again,
his scattered people to unite
with them in heaven to reign.

Let evil flee away
ere that dread hour shall dawn,
let this old Adam day by day
God's image still put on.

Praise to the Incarnate Son,
who comes to set us free,
with God the Father, ever One,
to all eternity.

As we prepare the way of the Lord,
let us offer prayers to God
who will baptize us with Spirit and fire.

For the coming of Jesus Christ in power and glory.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For the coming of Wisdom to teach and guide us.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For the coming of Emmanuel, the hope of all the peoples.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For the peace of the world, and for our unity in Christ.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For all bishops, presbyters, deacons and all who minister in Christ,
and for all the holy people of God.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the church throughout the world
and the faithful in every place, especially the Diocese of
Kitgum, Uganda, The Revd Benjamin Ojwang, Bishop.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the leaders of the nations and all in authority.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For justice, peace, and freedom among peoples of the earth.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For travelers, for the sick and the suffering,
for the hungry and the oppressed, and for those in prison.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the dying and those who have died.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Joining our voices with the ever-blessed Virgin Mary
and with all the saints and angels of God,
let us offer ourselves and one another
to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord, our God.

O Root of Jesse,
who rises as a signal among all peoples,
in whose presence rulers stand silent
and nations bow in worship,
come and deliver us without delay.
Glory to you for ever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Give us grace so to imitate your Son
in the humility and purity of his first coming
that, when he comes again,
we may be ready to greet him
with joyful love and firm faith. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a sentence from a prayer reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts; and another sentence from
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_,
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession and collect are by Ormonde Plater.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.