OREMUS: 5 December 2004

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Dec 4 23:19:36 GMT 2004

OREMUS for Sunday, December 5, 2004
The Second Sunday of Advent

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might,
with tender comfort and transforming power
you come into our midst.
You remember your ancient promise
and make straight the paths that lead to you
and smooth out the rough ways,
that in our day
we might bring forth your compassion
for all humanity.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 72

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Isaiah 51:21--52:6]:

Therefore hear this, you who are wounded,
   who are drunk, but not with wine:
Thus says your Sovereign, the LORD,
   your God who pleads the cause of his people:
See, I have taken from your hand the cup of
staggering;
you shall drink no more
   from the bowl of my wrath.
And I will put it into the hand of your tormentors,
   who have said to you,
   'Bow down, that we may walk on you';
and you have made your back like the ground
   and like the street for them to walk on.

Awake, awake,
   put on your strength, O Zion!
Put on your beautiful garments,
   O Jerusalem, the holy city;
for the uncircumcised and the unclean
   shall enter you no more.
Shake yourself from the dust, rise up,
   O captive Jerusalem;
loose the bonds from your neck,
   O captive daughter Zion!

For thus says the LORD: You were sold for nothing, and
you shall be redeemed without money. For thus says the
Lord GOD: Long ago, my people went down into Egypt to
reside there as aliens; the Assyrian, too, has oppressed
them without cause. Now therefore, what am I doing here,
says the LORD, seeing that my people are taken away
without cause? Their rulers howl, says the LORD, and
continually, all day long, my name is despised. Therefore
my people shall know my name; therefore on that day they
shall know that it is I who speak; here am I.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 1:57-80

HYMN
Words: Philipp Nicolai, 1597; Trans. Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: Wachet auf
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s227.html

"Sleepers, wake!" A voice astounds us,
the shout of rampart-guards surrounds us:
"Awake, Jerusalem, arise!"
Midnight's peace their cry has broken,
their urgent summons clearly spoken:
"The time has come, O maidens wise!
Rise up, and give us light;
the Bridegroom is in sight.
Alleluia!
Your lamps prepare and hasten there,
that you the wedding feast may share."

Zion hears the watchman singing;
her heart with joyful hope is springing,
she wakes and hurries through the night.
Forth he comes, her bridegroom glorious
in strength of grace, in truth victorious:
her star is risen, her light grows bright.
Now come, most worthy Lord,
God's Son, Incarnate Word,
Alleluia!
We follow all and heed your call
to come into the banquet hall.

Lamb of God, the heavens adore you;
let saints and angels sing before you,
as harps and cymbals swell the sound.
Twelve great pearls, the city's portals:
through them we stream to join the immortals
as we with joy your throne surround.
No eye has known the sight,
no ear has heard such delight:
Alleluia!
Therefore we sing to greet our King;
for ever let our praises ring.

For the Church:
that we may make ready a way for the Lord
and make a straight path for God in our hearts:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the grace of listening:
that our hearts may be open to the Word of God
as it comes to us and that our lives may be transformed by it:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the grace of insight:
that we may see the work of God in our time and our place
and recognize God Who is with Us in events large and small in our lives:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all who live the Gospel message in sincerity and humility:
that they may courageously witness to the power of grace
even when confronted by the powerful of society:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For a reawakening of our hearts:
that we may embrace the vision that God offers
for wholeness, reconciliation and new beginnings for all:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For freedom and healing:
that all who are struggling with obstacles, especially addictions and pride,
may experience God's help in moving forward toward wholeness:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all who are oppressed: t
hat God may smooth the pathways of their lives
and bring low those who abuse their power and authority:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all children:
that the hope that fills their hearts in this season
may become firmly planted and sustain them throughout life's journey:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For an end to war:
that God's Spirit will inspire the hearts of all world leaders
to take risks for peace and seek new ways
to honor the dignity of each human person:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Stir up our hearts, O Lord,
to prepare the way for your only Son:
By his coming give us strength in our conflicts
and shed light on our path through the darkness of this world;
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Give us grace so to imitate your Son
in the humility and purity of his first coming
that, when he comes again,
we may be ready to greet him
with joyful love and firm faith. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a sentence from a prayer reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts; and another sentence from
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_,
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) 1982 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by The Center for Liturgy at Saint
Louis University.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.