an Almanac correction

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Sun Oct 30 20:22:13 GMT 2011

Dear all,

It has been drawn to my attention that there is an error in my CW
Almanac for 1 January 2012.

I have now corrected this error, so that future downloads will have the
correct readings. Those who are subscribed to the Almanac feed
(/subscriptions/ to an iCalendar on an iOS device or in iCal on a Mac)
should, I think, automatically pick up the correct readings. Other
users, who have downloaded the Almanac and loaded it into their calendar
(including other iCal users) will have to correct the information.

The simplest way is probably to go to 1 January 2012 in your calendar,
to open up the CW Almanac item for that day, and to replace the contents
with the following text between the lines of dashes.

(Note there is another correction listed at the bottom of this email, so
even if you don't want to make this correction you might want to scroll
down past it.)

If the Naming and Circumcision is celebrated on 1 January:
The Naming and Circumcision of Jesus

http://almanac.oremus.org/2012-01-01

White

Principal Service
Numbers 6.22-27
Psalm 8
Galatians 4.4-7
Luke 2.15-21

Third Service
Genesis 17.1-13
Romans 2.17-29
Morning Psalms
Psalms 103, 150

Second Service
Deuteronomy 30.[1-10]11-20
Acts 3.1-16
Evening Psalm
Psalm 115

Collect

Almighty God,
whose blessed Son was circumcised
in obedience to the law for our sake
and given the Name that is above every name:
give us grace faithfully to bear his Name,
to worship him in the freedom of the Spirit,
and to proclaim him as the Saviour of the world;
one God, now and for ever.

Post Communion

Eternal God,
whose incarnate Son was given the Name of Saviour:
grant that we who have shared
    in this sacrament of our salvation
may live out our years in the power
    of the Name above all other names,
Jesus Christ our Lord.

Or, if the Naming and Circumcision is celebrated on Monday 2 January
The Second Sunday of Christmas

White

Principal Service
Isaiah 61.10 - 62.3
Psalm 148*
Galatians 4.4-7
Luke 2.15-21

Second Service
Psalm 132
Isaiah 35
Colossians 1.9-20 or
Luke 2.41-52

Third Service
Psalm 105.1-11
Isaiah 63.7-9
Ephesians 3.5-12

Collect

Almighty God,
in the birth of your Son
you have poured on us the new light of your incarnate Word,
and shown us the fullness of your love:
help us to walk in his light and dwell in his love
that we may know the fullness of his joy;
one God, now and for ever.

Post Communion

All praise to you,
almighty God and heavenly king,
who sent your Son into the world
to take our nature upon him
and to be born of a pure virgin:
grant that, as we are born again in him,
so he may continually dwell in us
and reign on earth as he reigns in heaven,
now and for ever.

Alternative Collect

God our Father,
in love you sent your Son
that the world may have life:
lead us to seek him among the outcast
and to find him in those in need,
for Jesus Christ's sake.

BCP Holy Communion
Romans 4.8-14
Luke 2.15-21

BCP Collect

Almighty God, who madest thy blessed Son to be circumcised, and obedient
to the law for man; Grant us the true circumcision of the Spirit; that,
our hearts, and all our members, being mortified from all worldly and
carnal lusts, we may in all things obey thy blessed will; through the
same thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The second error appears to be a glitch in the CW lectionary tables,
which this year make no provision for an OT reading at EP on the Monday
and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. (I'm happy to be persuaded otherwise!).

I have added Jeremiah 1, and Jeremiah 2.1-13. These readings are used in
some other years on these days, and as the lectionary picks up on the
Thursday with Jeremiah 2.14-32 it makes sense to use them. Maybe it is
what the lectionary compilers intended, but (unless there is some rubric
that I have not yet come across) it is not what they have specified.

My thanks to Dr David Stone, Precentor of Coventry, for drawing my
attention to these two problems. I apologise for the slips, the first of
which was definitely my fault.

best wishes

simon

--